Failed flash/communication?

kjm

Mar 12, 2012, 8:34:24 AM3/12/12
to colorhug-users
Hi there,

After the latest flash update, I was greeted with an error that the
device was disconnected (which wasn't the case).

If I connect the colorhug device to my machine, the calibration
program loads, but communication with the colorhug seems to be borked.
When it is plugged in, the LEDS seems to flash between red and green.

Trying some code to communicate with it fails:

e.g.:

kjmacken@isengard colorhug-client: ./colorhug set-leds red
Invalid read: retval=0x0b [Unknown command for bootloader] cmd=0x0e
(expected 0xe [set-leds]) len=2 (expected 2)

Checking dmesg:

[ 132.296273] usb 4-1: new full speed USB device number 3 using
ohci_hcd
[ 132.477762] generic-usb 0003:04D8:F8DA.0002: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB
HID v1.11 Device [Hughski Ltd. ColorHug] on usb-0000:00:12.0-1/input0
[ 273.531025] usb 4-1: USB disconnect, device number 3
[ 276.752309] usb 4-1: new full speed USB device number 4 using
ohci_hcd
[ 276.933714] generic-usb 0003:04D8:F8DA.0003: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB
HID v1.11 Device [Hughski Ltd. ColorHug (bootloader)] on
usb-0000:00:12.0-1/input0

So, the device is recognized, but something is going wrong writing to
it?

Did I brick the device when flashing it? Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,
Kevin

Richard Hughes

Mar 12, 2012, 9:42:10 AM3/12/12
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
On 12 March 2012 12:34, kjm <kjma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I connect the colorhug device to my machine, the calibration
> program loads, but communication with the colorhug seems to be borked.
> When it is plugged in, the LEDS seems to flash between red and green.
> [ 276.933714] generic-usb 0003:04D8:F8DA.0003: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB
> HID v1.11 Device [Hughski Ltd. ColorHug (bootloader)] on
> usb-0000:00:12.0-1/input0

Right, this is bootloader mode which is designed as a recovery mode to
prevent a bricked device.

> Did I brick the device when flashing it? Any ideas?

Just run colorhug-flash with the device plugged in, and it should
flash fine from the bootloader. I fixed a bug in the colorhug command
line tool that didn't allow the device enough time to re-enumerate on
some computers. If the flash fails again, then please let me know and
I'll explain how to manually recover.

Is there anything special about your PC that can give us some clues?
e.g. is it PPC/ARM or just old?

Thanks,

Richard

kjm

Mar 12, 2012, 11:14:53 AM3/12/12
to colorhug-users
Hi Richard,

Thanks. I tried from the livecd, and it did fail again. But, I will
try from the newer live CD tonight and update you.

The machine I'm testing this out on is a toshiba laptop (system
summary pasted below). Nothing 'remarkable' about it I would say. I
installed colorhug software using Patrick Debruijn's ppa. Other than
than, it is a bog-standard ubuntu (well, Linux Mint) install. The
flash update is showing the same timing out behaviour on the live CD
as well as through my mint install.

Will update asap.

-Computer-
Processor : 2x AMD E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Memory : 5712MB (783MB used)
Operating System : Linux Mint 12 Lisa
User Name : kjmacken (Kevin J. MacKenzie)
Date/Time : Mon 12 Mar 2012 15:07:52 GMT
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Lid Switch
Power Button
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Video Bus
HD-Audio Generic HDMI/DP,pcm : 3=
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
CNF9055
-Printers (CUPS)-
Print_to_PDF
-SCSI Disks-
ATA TOSHIBA MK6475GS
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633F

Richard Hughes

Mar 12, 2012, 11:32:45 AM3/12/12
On 12 March 2012 15:14, kjm <kjma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. I tried from the livecd, and it did fail again. But, I will
> try from the newer live CD tonight and update you.

Yup, can you try with the LiveCD and if it fails, send me the output of:

colorhug-flash --verbose

If that still fails, just do:

/usr/libexec/colorhug boot-flash
/usr/libexec/colorhug set-flash-success 1

Richard.

Vincent Bernat

Mar 12, 2012, 3:52:21 PM3/12/12
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
OoO Peu avant le début de l'après-midi du lundi 12 mars 2012, vers
13:34, kjm <kjma...@gmail.com> disait :

> After the latest flash update, I was greeted with an error that the
> device was disconnected (which wasn't the case).

> If I connect the colorhug device to my machine, the calibration
> program loads, but communication with the colorhug seems to be borked.
> When it is plugged in, the LEDS seems to flash between red and green.

I was in the same case and compiling the version from the git repository
fixed the problem.
--
Vincent Bernat ☯ http://vincent.bernat.im

Keep it right when you make it faster.

Vincent Bernat

Mar 12, 2012, 4:01:58 PM3/12/12
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
OoO Pendant le journal télévisé du lundi 12 mars 2012, vers 20:52, je
disais:

>> After the latest flash update, I was greeted with an error that the
>> device was disconnected (which wasn't the case).

>> If I connect the colorhug device to my machine, the calibration
>> program loads, but communication with the colorhug seems to be borked.
>> When it is plugged in, the LEDS seems to flash between red and green.

> I was in the same case and compiling the version from the git repository
> fixed the problem.

However, I am still unable to use Argyll on Debian, even if the
maintainer repushed another patch. I still get:

XF86VidModeSetGammaRamp returning OK
colorhug: Sending cmd 'TakeReadingXYZ' args '40 00'
icoms: About to return usb write 3 bytes, ICOM err 0x0
colorhug: ICOM err 0x0
colorhug: Reading response
icoms: About to return usb read 0 bytes, ICOM err 0x2000
read_sample returned 'Communication protocol breakdown' (Unknown error code)
colorhug: Sending cmd 'TakeReadingXYZ' args '40 00'
icoms: About to return usb write 0 bytes, ICOM err 0x2000
colorhug: Command send failed with ICOM err 0x2000
read_sample returned 'Communications failure' (Communications failure)

I am a bit lost with which Argyll version should be used. The one here
doesn't seem to have colorhug support:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/releases/hargyllcms-1.3.5.tar.xz

(grep -ri colorhug . doesn't return anything)

--
Vincent Bernat ☯ http://vincent.bernat.im

panic("floppy: Port bolixed.");
2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/include/asm-sparc/floppy.h

Vincent Bernat

Mar 13, 2012, 4:04:27 PM3/13/12
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
OoO En ce début de soirée du lundi 12 mars 2012, vers 21:01, je disais:

> However, I am still unable to use Argyll on Debian, even if the
> maintainer repushed another patch. I still get:

The package maintainer did issue an update today and I am now able to
use my ColorHug. Nice!

--
Vincent Bernat ☯ http://vincent.bernat.im

die_if_kernel("Whee... Hello Mr. Penguin", current->tss.kregs);
2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/arch/sparc/kernel/traps.c

Pascal de Bruijn

Mar 13, 2012, 5:55:53 PM3/13/12
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Vincent Bernat <ber...@luffy.cx> wrote:
> OoO En ce début de soirée du lundi 12 mars 2012, vers 21:01, je disais:
>
>> However,  I  am still  unable  to  use Argyll  on  Debian,  even if  the
>> maintainer repushed another patch. I still get:
>
> The package  maintainer did issue an update  today and I am  now able to
> use my ColorHug. Nice!

Yep. We worked it out with the Debian folks.

I pushed a backported package for Ubuntu Precise (12.04) as well...

(My own package for 11.10 wasn't affected).

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn

scruss

Mar 15, 2012, 5:07:18 AM3/15/12
to colorhug-users
I'm having the same problem on Ubuntu, using Pascal's PPA. Firmware
update fails on final write. Always need to access device as root, as
some process seems to have its grubby mitts on the Colorhug.

I did manage to calibrate my MacBook last night - yay! - display is
much warmer and what was mud is now colour. Can't easily update the
firmware using the MacBook as the wireless card needs a driver thingy
that's not on the liveCD.

cheers,
Stewart

Pascal de Bruijn

Mar 15, 2012, 5:18:39 AM3/15/12
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM, scruss <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having the same problem on Ubuntu, using Pascal's PPA. Firmware
> update fails on final write. Always need to access device as root, as
> some process seems to have its grubby mitts on the Colorhug.

Are you sure you have the latest packages? colorhug-client 0.1.6?

Because that problem sounds familiar with earlier versions, but I
think it was fixed in 0.1.6?

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn

Kevin MacKenzie

Apr 5, 2012, 10:18:49 AM4/5/12
to colorhug-users
I apologize for the length in time it has taken me to respond. I ran
the colorhug-flash from the command line, and all seems well.

Thanks for the input.