Just received the ColorHug, several problems

raim...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2015, 3:38:58 PM3/6/15
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm a bit disappointed because one reason that moved me to buy ColorHug was a not written but almost de facto promise that, under a GNU/Linux system, it would be just plug and use. I've tried both with my day to day distro (Debian Wheezy) and with the live-CD and it's full of errors. Almost none of the steps described here http://hughski.com/owner.html worked without errors.

As a somewhat experienced user, I can somewhat understand too what those errors relate, but now if I put on the shoes of a more average user, I feel the experience could be really bad, and I'm sorry for this. I really want to support open hardware and software, but man! that should work better out of the box!

So, let's be constructive and go solve problems. I suspect that I lack, on one hand, a file like
http://github.com/hughski/colorhug-calibration/blob/master/archive/calibration-002642.ccmx (ending with my device number, right?)
This file isn't reachable.

Besides that, I got the error about the apperture being closed after the initial test samples, and other errors which doesn't seem solved at all at the different threads here on Google Groups. So I'm not yet able to do a calibration at all, which is the main purpose of the thing. Don't want to sound rude, I'm able to help, but just want to explain that my first experience with this is bad.

To summarize (all reproduced under the Live CD environment):
- When I do:
/usr/libexec/colorhug set-leds green 5 200 200
ok, 5 flashes

- When i do
/usr/bin/colorhug-flash
I get
Firmware version 1.2.3, no updates available, so all fine I guess

- When I do:
/usr/bin/colorhug-ccmx
I get the already "classical" error:
The ColorHug is missing the factory calibration values, and when I click "Repair" i get:
Not Found: /downloads/colorhug/archive/calibration-002642.ccmx

-When I do
/usr/bin/gcm-picker
It appears a dialog and I'm invited to do a measure, but nor the sample that's going to be measured nor the results from the supposed measure seem correct. On the terminal, I get:
(gcm-picker:2134): Gcm-WARNING **: failed to get sample: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.7: Invalid read: retval=0x19 [Invalid calibration] cmd=0x23 (expected 0x23 [take-reading-xyz]) len=64 (expected 14 or 64)

Obviously, I've used the conventional interface from "Color" system settings section, which don't work either and where I get the "apperture" error I told you before. Hope my report is going to be useful and thanks for your attention!

Regards,
Raimon