No ColorHug devices found

Matt

Jan 29, 2016, 12:32:17 PM1/29/16
to colorhug-users
Hi everyone,

I just got the colorHug 2 and I am experiencing a few rather strange difficulties, but maybe you lot know a trick or two...

I'm running Debian jessie with MATE environment on a ThinkPad X201,
argyll Version: 1.6.3-4
colord Version: 1.2.1-1+b2
colorhug-client Version: 0.2.1-2
libgusb2 Version: 0.1.6-5

When the device is plugged in it flashes red and green and does show up on dmesg:

[ 2904.201382] usb 2-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
[ 2904.299135] usb 2-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=273f, idProduct=1004
[ 2904.299141] usb 2-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 2904.299145] usb 2-1.2: Product: ColorHug2
[ 2904.299148] usb 2-1.2: Manufacturer: Hughski Ltd.
[ 2904.303542] hid-generic 0003:273F:1004.0004: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Device [Hughski Ltd. ColorHug2] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.2/input0

However, running any command such as

$ colorhug-cmd set-leds green 5 200 200

results in

"No connection to device:
No ColorHug devices were found."

I did try to boot the attached USB live system but it only got me a "Syslinux 6.03 EDD Copyright..." message and stalled there.

The device did apparently work on a friend's machine running debian stretch/testing, but it sort of misbehaved there as well, as the above command resulted in the red LED flashing and
$ colorhug-cmd set-leds red 5 200 200
made the green one flash...

Any ideas as to what this is all about?

Thanks in advance :)
Matt

Richard Hughes

Jan 30, 2016, 11:39:26 AM1/30/16
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
On 29 January 2016 at 16:43, Matt <matthias...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> colorhug-client Version: 0.2.1-2

That's too old to know about the ColorHug2 -- it's about 5 versions behind...

> "No connection to device: No ColorHug devices were found."

Right, the VID:PID isn't recognised by such an old version.

> I did try to boot the attached USB live system but it only got me a
> "Syslinux 6.03 EDD Copyright..." message and stalled there.

Yes, a few people have hit that. I'm going to do a new LiveCD this
weekend as the one from last week failed some initial testing.

Richard

Matt

Jan 30, 2016, 1:24:52 PM1/30/16
to colorhug-users
Hey, thanks for replying.

Am Samstag, 30. Januar 2016 17:39:26 UTC+1 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> colorhug-client Version: 0.2.1-2

That's too old to know about the ColorHug2 -- it's about 5 versions behind...

Ah, curse you, Debian, and your incredibly old stuff!

> "No connection to device: No ColorHug devices were found."

Right, the VID:PID isn't recognised by such an old version.

> I did try to boot the attached USB live system but it only got me a
> "Syslinux 6.03 EDD Copyright..." message and stalled there.

Yes, a few people have hit that. I'm going to do a new LiveCD this
weekend as the one from last week failed some initial testing.

Richard

I'll grab a Ubuntu live system or something the like; something with more recent software in the repositories.
Maybe you can update the FAQ, though, it says there that the minimum version is colorhug-client >= 0.1.4

Thanks and have a nice weekend
Matt

Florin Machidon

Feb 2, 2016, 6:41:43 AM2/2/16
to colorhug-users
I have also had the same experiences when I tried to use the ColorHug2 I received yesterday.
The provided USB key didn't boot (Syslinux... ), the Windows client kept throwing error dialogs (as Administrator) and any attempts to build the latest colorhug packages on my venerable 17.1 Mint got me caught up in a web of broken dependencies. Mint 17.3 seemed similarly obsolete in this regard.

On the bright side, I have a freshly installed Ubuntu 15.10 (with *-proposed packages) and a calibrated monitor!