Automatic brightness in GNOME and ColorHug ALS

Visto 139 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

ondre...@gmail.com

no leída,
26 ene 2016, 4:58:5526/1/16
a colorhug-users
Hello,

it seem that automatic brightness should be supported in the GNOME 3.18:
http://www.hadess.net/2015/05/iio-sensor-proxy-10-is-out.html

I wanted to try it with my ColorHug ALS, but I don't have such toggle in gnome-control-center. It is probably because iio-sensor-proxy doesn't see the device:
$ G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=all /usr/sbin/iio-sensor-proxy
** (process:25035): DEBUG: Could not find any supported sensors

I tried to updated my ColorHug, but fwupdmgr (fwupd-0.5.4-1.fc23.x86_64, fwupd-0.6.1-1.fc24.x86_64) failed:
$ fwupdmgr refresh
$ fwupdmgr update
Downloading 4.0.2 for ColorHugALS...
Updating 4.0.2 on ColorHugALS...
 * Decompressing firmware
HKR->FirmwareVersion missing from [Firmware_AddReg]

I tried colorhug-flash (colorhug-client-flash-0.2.7-2.fc23.x86_64), but it told me that there are no updates available:
$ colorhug-flash firmware.bin
3.0.2 compared to 3.0.2 = older

I have 3.0.2 version installed:
$ colorhug-cmd get-firmware-version
3.0.2

However it seems that recent driver version is 4.0.2:
$ grep version firmware.metainfo.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <release urgency="medium" version="4.0.2" timestamp="1442321232">

I tried colorhug-cmd and it worked finally:
$ colorhug-cmd flash-firmware firmware.bin
WARNING: Do not shutdown the computer or unplug the device.
Flash the device? [N/y] y
INFO: Flashing was successful.

Then I realized that firmware.inf told something else, so it might be broken somehow:
$ grep DriverVer firmware.inf
DriverVer=03/03/2015,3.0.2

However I can see 4.0.2 from colorhug-cmd currently:
$ colorhug-cmd get-firmware-version
4.0.2

But still it seems that iio-sensor-proxy doesn't see the device. Am I doing something wrong? Should automatic brightness work with ColorHug ALS at all?

Regards

Ondrej

Richard Hughes

no leída,
26 ene 2016, 5:10:1726/1/16
a colorhu...@googlegroups.com
On 26 January 2016 at 09:34, <ondre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanted to try it with my ColorHug ALS, but I don't have such toggle in
> gnome-control-center. It is probably because iio-sensor-proxy doesn't see
> the device:

Yes, you need >= 4.0.2 for iio-sensor-proxy support.

> I tried to updated my ColorHug, but fwupdmgr (fwupd-0.5.4-1.fc23.x86_64,
> fwupd-0.6.1-1.fc24.x86_64) failed:
> $ fwupdmgr refresh
> $ fwupdmgr update
> Downloading 4.0.2 for ColorHugALS...
> Updating 4.0.2 on ColorHugALS...
> * Decompressing firmware
> HKR->FirmwareVersion missing from [Firmware_AddReg]

Sorry about this, this is the same bug as I recently fixed for
ColorHug2. I've uploaded a 4.0.23 to the LVFS just now, can you apply
it with:

fwupdmgr refresh
fwupdmgr update

> $ grep DriverVer firmware.inf
> DriverVer=03/03/2015,3.0.2

Yes, this was the problem; new versions of appstream-glib are quite
strict about the version numbers being the same.

Richard.

ondre...@gmail.com

no leída,
27 ene 2016, 4:16:1127/1/16
a colorhug-users
Hi Richard,

it works now, thanks.

Is it possible to configure the automatic brightness in GNOME somehow? Does it correspond with ColorHug Backlight utility settings somehow?

I really miss an option to set pairs of brightness:luminosity like Lux Auto Brightness for Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux

Regards

Ondrej

Dne úterý 26. ledna 2016 11:10:17 UTC+1 Richard Hughes napsal(a):

Richard Hughes

no leída,
30 ene 2016, 11:36:3130/1/16
a colorhu...@googlegroups.com
On 27 January 2016 at 09:15, <ondre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to configure the automatic brightness in GNOME somehow? Does
> it correspond with ColorHug Backlight utility settings somehow?

There are not any setting at the moment; what did you want to tweak?

> I really miss an option to set pairs of brightness:luminosity like Lux Auto
> Brightness for Android:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux

Can you post some screenshots?

Richard.

ondre...@gmail.com

no leída,
1 feb 2016, 12:33:281/2/16
a colorhug-users
Hey Richard,

I have health problems with my eyes if brightness is too high. So I am using Lux Auto Brightness on Android devices, which allows you to configure auto brightness for custom levels. You can specify pairs of brightness:luminosity. You can find several screenshots on the link I sent last time, but the following one shows the configuration of custom levels:
https://lh5.ggpht.com/Z1DoavCAVYpZTcjTRShgJtr6B8XlC6yO9BXfFf82aI9wD8IPbFodUeqmOdYc-XS3-HWD=h900

I have also NEC E231W monitor with auto brightness functionality. It allows to specify only "minimal" brightness level if room is darkest and "maximal" if room is brightest. Current value of brightness is computed from those values as per current luminosity.

I intended to use the ColorHug for same purpose initially. I wrote small script which behaves like the monitor (allows to set minimal and maximal value). Unfortunately I use laptop and external monitor in one time and the brightness is not corresponding between the devices. But this is another issue...

I have to look in gnome-settings-daemon codes, how the auto-brightness is computed...

Regards

Ondrej

Dne sobota 30. ledna 2016 17:36:31 UTC+1 Richard Hughes napsal(a):
Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar
0 mensajes nuevos