Colorhug 2 issues

Jasper

Mar 7, 2016, 4:57:34 AM3/7/16
to colorhug-users
I just tested my new colorhug 2 over the weekend, and encountered two issues. First of all, when set to some other mode than raw (I'm using dispcalGUI from the live USB drive that accompanied the colorhug btw.) it seems extremely insensitive to red, resulting in really, really red monitor settings and accompanying profiles when trying to match a particular white point (like reported elsewhere as well). When set to raw things look a lot saner (and the reported color temperature roughly agrees with my monitor's presets). Unfortunately I don't really have a gold standard to compare with (although I do plan on doing a comparison with my colorhug 1, which I didn't have access to this weekend), so if there is anything I can do to help verify/debug this issue, I'd love to hear about it.

Secondly, I had no luck getting it to work on Windows (10). In device manager I saw two devices associated with the colorhug, with fairly strange names (one had a GUID as its name, the other the version number 2.0.3 as its NAME). Windows refused to install the Colorhug 2 driver that comes with Argyll for either of them, and none of the tools (either the colorhug client tools nor Argyll) seem to be able to connect to the colorhug. If anyone has any recommendations for getting the colorhug 2 working under Windows 10 I'm all ears. (Note that the 2.0.3 name was seen before I flashed the firmware, I also looked in device manager after flashing the firmware, but didn't look too closely at the names, so it might have changed to 2.0.6 or something, but the general idea was still the same.)

Other than that it seems to have worked fine though, and I'm looking forward to the ColorHug+/spectro.

Jasper

Mar 8, 2016, 1:01:36 PM3/8/16
to colorhug-users
I just tried the ColorHug 1, and it reports saner color temperatures, and it worked at least better on my Windows 10 installation (I haven't tried calibrating anything yet, but the firmware flashing tool at least was able to connect, although flashing failed).

In case it helps, here is the result of running "colorhug-cmd get-calibration 0":
--------------------------
index: 0
supports LCD: 1
supports LED: 1
supports CRT: 1
supports projector: 1
( 0.51    -0.03    -0.01    )
( 0.03    0.55    -0.02    )
( -0.08    0.04    0.74    )
--------------------------

Graeme Gill

Mar 8, 2016, 6:01:37 PM3/8/16
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
Jasper wrote:

> its NAME). Windows refused to install the Colorhug 2 driver that comes with
> Argyll for either of them, and none of the tools (either the colorhug

Did you follow the instructions:
<http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Installing_MSWindows.html#WIN8> ?

You won't be able to install the drivers on MSWin 10 if you haven't
(temporarily) disabled driver signature enforcement.

Graeme Gill.

Jasper

Apr 4, 2016, 10:16:28 AM4/4/16
to colorhug-users, gra...@argyllcms.com, gra...@argyllcms.com

I will try that next time, thanks. But is there no way to resolve the color temperature/white point issue?

Graeme Gill

Apr 4, 2016, 6:13:36 PM4/4/16
to colorhug-users
Jasper wrote:

> I will try that next time, thanks. But is there no way to resolve the color
> temperature/white point issue?

I think that's something that Richard will have to address - as far as I know,
ArgyllCMS is working correctly.

Graeme Gill.