Multiple Monitors

Rich Rumble

Jan 31, 2012, 9:27:08 AM1/31/12
to colorhug-users
I haven't read or seen anything about how a multi-head may be affected
by applying a profile. Can each screen have it's own profile, what it
they aren't the same brand/size/type? I suppose one would just have to
pick their "favorite" monitor to use and hope the new profile doesn't
skew the others too much?
-rich

Richard Hughes

Jan 31, 2012, 10:22:17 AM1/31/12
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
On 31 January 2012 14:27, Rich Rumble <richr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can each screen have it's own profile

Yes, as long as the video driver you're using supports xrandr 1.2
(which, I think is all of them, minus the nvidia binary driver).

Richard.

Arnt Gulbrandsen

Jan 31, 2012, 10:26:20 AM1/31/12
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
My setup has three screens on two ati/amd chips, and it crashed incessantly until I disabled xrandr, so the support may not be quite faultless.

Arnt

Marie Fétiveau

Jan 31, 2012, 10:45:28 AM1/31/12
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
Hello !

That's exactly one of my problem :p

I'm on an OpenSuse with an nvidia driver and two screens set up in twin view mode.
XRandr, xcalib, nvidia-settings and other tools consider my two screen as a unique x screen. This is very problematic because I can apply only one gamma curve that will affect both screens.

I tried a lot of configurations like separate x-screen, separate x-screen + xinerama... to have a gamma curve by screen.
But I didn't find any satisfying solution.

As anyone, an idea ?

Thanks a lot !

Marie

Matthias Urlichs

Jan 31, 2012, 10:54:56 AM1/31/12
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Marie F�tiveau:

> As anyone, an idea ?

Buy two identical monitors.

Try an ATI graphics card.

Try the Nouveau driver.

File a bug with Nvidia. Good luck, you'll need it. :-P

Other than that: no.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs

Marcus Bointon

Jan 31, 2012, 11:18:07 AM1/31/12
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
On 31 Jan 2012, at 16:45, Marie Fétiveau wrote:

As anyone, an idea ?

Get a Mac? Mac OS had multiple monitor support in 1987 (supporting mixed colour depths, resolutions, chipsets, non-rectangular layouts all without drivers!), and multi-screen profiling in 1993. I used a Mac IIfx with six 21" monitors in 1992. Think it cost > $30,000 though! People still often act incredulous when I drag a window from one screen to another as if it hadn't been normal for 25 years!

I'd love to see an OS X version of ColorHug. ArgyllCMS already works with things like Huey (but I'd prefer to support open hardware), and class-compliant USB stuff tends to play nice; All the usual libs are available either natively or via MacPorts/HomeBrew. I don't know what else it needs.

Alternatively, could running in a VM work? I suspect hardware abstraction would probably get in the way of getting native measurements from the monitor.

Marcus

Marie Fétiveau

Jan 31, 2012, 11:31:56 AM1/31/12
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I wasn't fully sure that it was an nvidia problem.
I already tried the ask-nvidia-option but they didn't seem to understand what my problem was :p

Unfortunately getting an ATI (or a Mac) is not an option for us, our work requires theses.

Anyway, thanks for the quick, clear and cut answer ! :)

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Matthias Urlichs <matt...@urlichs.de> wrote:
Hi,

Marie Fétiveau: