CCMX from calibrated monitor?

HaJo Schatz

Oct 21, 2016, 2:35:07 AM10/21/16
to colorhug-users
Hi group,

Sparsely using CH1 user here. I always struggled with the red shift, hence pretty much ignored calibration. Recently I bought a Dell laptop and a Dell monitor which according to reviews are out-of-the-box calibrated well for 100% sRGB. When I ran Colorhug over them they turned red, of course ;-)

Now I was wondering -- if I assume that the displays are well calibrated already; can I then somehow create a CCMX without a spectrometer? I could then use this in the future when the displays age. Hopefully...

Thx a lot!

Florian Höch

Oct 21, 2016, 11:38:40 AM10/21/16
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
Am 21.10.2016 um 05:13 schrieb HaJo Schatz:
> Now I was wondering -- if I assume that the displays are well
> calibrated already; can I then somehow create a CCMX without a
> spectrometer?

If you don't have access to a spectro, then you can use the display EDID
to generate a CCMX from it. This is done automatically if you use
DisplayCAL and set measurement mode to "Auto" (only available for the
CH1 and CH2).

Florian.

Garry Julian

Oct 22, 2016, 6:01:51 AM10/22/16
to colorhug-users
Hi HaJo. I'm surprised you're still having trouble with a red shift. I had it for a little while but I don't have it now. Maybe we can help. What settings do you use when you calibrate?

HaJo Schatz

Oct 24, 2016, 9:50:16 AM10/24/16
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
Thx for your replies, Florian & Garry,

I went to it again and can't tell what I've done earlier -- but indeed I have now an ICC without any red-shift. It looks almost exactly identical to the factory calibration - I have to look very very carefully to see any difference.

Maybe it's the "Auto" mode that solved it. I guess I might have selected the wrong mode previously. Happy CH1 user here :)

Thx again,
Hajo

--
Sent from my mobile device, apologies for typos

PGP key: http://tinyurl.com/2016PGPKEY