ColorHugALS doesn't work on Windows 10

iXPe...@yahoo.com

Nov 11, 2017, 5:34:17 AM11/11/17
to colorhug-users
ColorHugALS doesn't work on Windows 10. From some research i think the HID implementation should be updated to be compatible with Windows 10. Is it possible to do that?

Richard Hughes

Nov 11, 2017, 2:37:05 PM11/11/17
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
On 11 November 2017 at 10:09, iXPert12 via colorhug-users
It should already support SensorHID with the latest firmware. What
firmware do you have installed?

Richard.

iXPert12

Nov 12, 2017, 5:39:03 AM11/12/17
to colorhug-users
The firmware version is 4.0.3 .
In device manager i have 2 devices:
1. unknown device "4.0.3" ;
  2. HID Sensor Collection V2.

Tried Sensor Diagnostic Tool:
 - on Windows 8 it detects the device and can read sensor values.
 - on Windows 10 the ambient light sensor is missing.

Richard Hughes

Nov 17, 2017, 10:23:10 AM11/17/17
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
On 12 November 2017 at 08:53, 'iXPert12' via colorhug-users
<colorhu...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> Tried Sensor Diagnostic Tool:
> - on Windows 8 it detects the device and can read sensor values.

Hmm, I've only ever tested on Windows 7 and 8, but indeed you're right
as my updated VM shows the same thing.

> - on Windows 10 the ambient light sensor is missing.

Do you know any more details why? If you could do some research I'm
happy to add any more required parts of the SensorHID implementation
but I can't really spend hours working this out myself for a
very-much-EOL product. Sorry that's not more helpful.

Richard.

iXPert12

Nov 19, 2017, 4:05:30 AM11/19/17
to colorhug-users
Ok, I will try to investigate further. Do you have specific documentation on Sensor HID when you wrote the implementation?

Now i'm reading
But i'm not sure if i am on the right path.

Richard Hughes

Nov 19, 2017, 5:14:17 AM11/19/17
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com, benjamin....@redhat.com
Hi,

I've cc'd the person who wrote the original code. Benjamin: Do you
know why the ColorHugALS device works in Window8 but doesn't work in
Windows 10? I think you're very much the expert here.

Thanks,

Richard.

On 19 November 2017 at 07:30, 'iXPert12' via colorhug-users
<colorhu...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> Ok, I will try to investigate further. Do you have specific documentation on
> Sensor HID when you wrote the implementation?
>
> Now i'm reading
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn613934(v=vs.85).aspx
> But i'm not sure if i am on the right path.
>
> On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 5:23:10 PM UTC+2, Richard Hughes wrote:
>>
>> On 12 November 2017 at 08:53, 'iXPert12' via colorhug-users
>> <colorhu...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>> > Tried Sensor Diagnostic Tool:
>> > - on Windows 8 it detects the device and can read sensor values.
>>
>> Hmm, I've only ever tested on Windows 7 and 8, but indeed you're right
>> as my updated VM shows the same thing.
>>
>> > - on Windows 10 the ambient light sensor is missing.
>>
>> Do you know any more details why? If you could do some research I'm
>> happy to add any more required parts of the SensorHID implementation
>> but I can't really spend hours working this out myself for a
>> very-much-EOL product. Sorry that's not more helpful.
>>
>> Richard.

Benjamin Tissoires

Nov 21, 2017, 11:15:37 AM11/21/17
to Richard Hughes, colorhu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Nov 19 2017 or thereabouts, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've cc'd the person who wrote the original code. Benjamin: Do you
> know why the ColorHugALS device works in Window8 but doesn't work in
> Windows 10? I think you're very much the expert here.

I had no idea it was working on Win8 :)
I suspect the driver changed in Win10, but I have no way to tell you
precisely what changed. There might be some explanation on msdn, but a
quick google lookup doesn't show an immediate result.

Sorry,
Benjamin