Suggested best settings for Calibration?

mar...@justsayplease.co.uk

May 24, 2016, 12:26:10 PM5/24/16
to colorhug-users
Just had my colorhug2 arrive.

On the front screen of dispalgui - should I be choosing a correction profile if one available (there's one listed for my monitor with colourhug).

This then turns changes my "mode" to factory preset - is this correct?

Just wondering how to get the best results from it - whether to use the "modify the monitor values until you get the colours lined up" method, or something else!

Is there a generic "this is how you get the best profile 95% of the time" howto out there?

Garry Julian

Jun 10, 2016, 5:47:09 AM6/10/16
to colorhug-users, mar...@justsayplease.co.uk
This is one of those questions "how long is a piece of string". I'll tell you what I've done and I've been very pleased. After a couple of tries trying the interactive adjusting the monitor to get it as close as possible to what you want before letting DisplayCal taking over I read one person suggesting to reset the monitor to the factory default. I did that and then unchecked on DisplayCal telling DisplayCal to do the interactive pre-calibration. I then set the brightness to 98cd/m2 (I had it at 100 before and everything looked good but when I got my photos printed out they were a little bit dark so I'm hoping this will counter that by making me lighten them up before printing). Next I set it to D5000 as I believe this is supposed to be the colour of light in midday sun and I set it to a gamma of 2.2. The final thing I did was checked the white level drift compensation and the black level drift compensation. This checks the white level and black level constantly during calibration (I don't know how often but for me it added on another 20 minutes) which is supposed to counter the drift as your monitor heats up. For me this adds up to about 1 hour (make a coffee and watch TV the end result is worth it). The end result is excellent. Looking at monitor test files they look very neutral with a good range of tones. Getting my photos printed on a Fuji Frontier they match my monitor perfectly. As I mentioned they were slightly dark but in gimp I made a curve preset which I added at the very end before taking the photos in for printing, but I'm trying a brightness of 98cm/m2 which hopefully by adjusting my prints to that they won't need that curve preset. This is just my own settings from trial and error and the end results are excellent. I hope this helps.

Cheers
Garry