[collins] Ideal memory footprint?

Joe Mackey

Sep 13, 2013, 5:24:33 PM9/13/13
to colli...@googlegroups.com
We currently have a non-dedicated solr instance for Collins that just runs in memory. We are starting Collins with 2GB of memory. Sometimes Collins runs out of memory and crashes. Does anyone with a similar setup have a better idea of what sort of memory size would be enough for Collins?

Thanks,

--
Joe Mackey
Operations Engineer

E. j...@box.com
M. 518-755-1306
4440 El Camino Real
Los Altos, CA 94022

Benjamin VanEvery

Sep 20, 2013, 2:17:11 PM9/20/13
to colli...@googlegroups.com
Haven't heard back from anyone. Just hoping for a basic response.

One hypothesis we have is that our memory footprint is large because we don't run a separate solr indexer, and instead keep the index in memory (which is the default configuration). Beyond that, we haven't had the time to dig. So, any other ideas would be appreciated! =)

Benjamin VanEvery

Dec 20, 2013, 2:23:32 PM12/20/13
to colli...@googlegroups.com
To follow up on this, I got to the bottom of the issue, which related to JVM PermGen space.

Here's a link to the change we made to the init script, https://github.com/box/collins/tree/init-script-cleanup
and here's a link to the blog I wrote about why I made the changes, http://asheepapart.blogspot.com/2013/11/talkin-bout-my-generation-or-how-i.html