correct relocation process

Chris Burroughs

May 10, 2013, 8:04:07 PM5/10/13
to Collins
So based on the existence of the Relocation maintenance status the right
way to update a RACK_POSITION was to put an asset into maintenance and
POST /api/asset/:tag. However, this does not appear [1] to work.

Instead I went through an Unallocated-->Maintenance-->New-->Unallocated
dance. Is that the right way to go?

[1]
https://github.com/tumblr/collins/blob/master/app/models/AssetLifecycle.scala#L227

Blake Matheny

May 10, 2013, 8:15:42 PM5/10/13
to colli...@googlegroups.com
You should just be able to put it into New to update the value, then back to the original status. The reason that this is 'the way' is that at Tumblr, if you relocate a machine, the RACK_POSITION does but so does all the power telemetry, which requires having the asset go through the web based intake process again. The web based intake is only available when an asset is in New status.

I'd be open to a patch to allow for more flexibility, but the default is the 'right' things for the Tumblr environment.

--
Blake Matheny
@bmatheny