Release this year?

Chris Burroughs

Feb 1, 2016, 4:12:47 PM2/1/16
to Collins
There have been ~530 commits to master since the 1.3.0 release in 2014.
That feels like a big old chunk of work. Is there a rough roadmap (in
terms of either time or features) for the next release?

Will Richard

Feb 1, 2016, 5:06:54 PM2/1/16
to Collins
Hi Chris,

Yeah, you're right that we're long overdue for a release.  The code is ready to be released, but we need to write a lot of documentation for the changes we've made.  I'll make sure we focus some time on that, and get things cleaned up to cut a release.

Just so you know, we're likely to go right to 2.0.0, because we've made some backwards incompatible configuration changes, and we want to start following symantic versioning.

Sorry for the delay on this - like I said, I'll make sure we start working on getting those docs in shape.

Michael Schenck

Feb 2, 2016, 4:42:06 PM2/2/16
to colli...@googlegroups.com
Any chance of having a public community (with governance, commit privileges, etc) so others can help define a roadmap, release cycle, etc?

Github • LinkedIn Tumblr • Twitter

Will Richard

Corwin Brown

Apr 18, 2016, 7:21:51 PM4/18/16
to Collins
Any update on a release?

Will Richard

Apr 18, 2016, 7:25:06 PM4/18/16
to collins-sm
Hi Corwin,

Making progress - we're about half way done with the docs that we need to write before we feel good about cutting a release - I'll make sure we double down on working on it!

-William Richard

Patrick Lundquist

Jun 14, 2016, 2:56:32 PM6/14/16
to Collins
Hi Will,

Any update on the release? Or any chance we could get a documentation preview?

We're looking to either try deploying Collins or start rolling our own system this month.

Cheers,
Patrick

Will Richard

Jun 14, 2016, 3:00:09 PM6/14/16
to collins-sm
Hi Patrick,

The docs currently on http://tumblr.github.io/collins/index.html are for the master branch, which we consider stable and are using in production.

We don't have a solid date on the release, but we're working on it.

Please give collins a try and let me know if you need help getting going!

-William Richard

Alan Sparks

Aug 16, 2016, 8:50:57 AM8/16/16
to Collins

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 1:00:09 PM UTC-6, Will Richard wrote:
We don't have a solid date on the release, but we're working on it.

Any progress to report, does an update date seem more concrete yet?

Johannes Ziemke

Aug 19, 2016, 3:10:59 PM8/19/16
to Collins
Hi everyone,

that sounds like a really good idea!

I'm a collins user and Prometheus maintainer. With Prometheus we joined the CNCF recently (although I wasn't much involved in the process). If you're interested, can ask around if collins would be a fit as well and how that would work etc.

Will Richard

Sep 19, 2016, 2:40:22 PM9/19/16
to Collins
I'm happy to announce that we did manage to get another release done this year! And we're going to make sure we are releasing more frequently, with smaller changes, to avoid these sorts of giant changesets all at once.

https://github.com/tumblr/collins/releases/tag/v2.0.0

I'll be sending another message to the group soon with the details of the announcement.