PyCollectionJSON

Ian Evans

Oct 31, 2014, 3:33:02 PM10/31/14
to collect...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

I was in the process of hacking together some simple bindings for a personal project when I noticed there wasn't really any python bindings in this page, so I decided to develop the idea into a separate python module.

I tried my best to balance interacting with data pythonically with being able to easily generate Collection+JSON documents to spec (I did my best to follow the format, let me know if I missed anything!) It should follow the requirements/options accordingly, and still be extensible in places where it won't directly contradict spec.

This is my first project for serious public use, and I'd like some feedback on it.

I haven't written any how-to documentation on it yet, so if anything is confusing, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Ian

Chris Marinos

Oct 31, 2014, 5:01:22 PM10/31/14
to collect...@googlegroups.com
You might want to have a look at http://collection-json.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ to see if you can combine efforts. I submitted a pull request to that library in the past, and the owner was fairly quick to respond.

-Chris

Ian Evans

Oct 31, 2014, 5:14:28 PM10/31/14
to collect...@googlegroups.com
I don't think I'd have anything to contribute there. Looking at their
examples, I would say it's much more straightforward than my approach. I
would have to look and see if I would have anything to add to it.

Thanks for pointing that one out.

On 10/31/2014 02:01 PM, Chris Marinos wrote:
> You might want to have a look at
> http://collection-json.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ to see if you can
> combine efforts. I submitted a pull request to that library in the past,
> and the owner was fairly quick to respond.
>
> -Chris
>
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Ian Evans <ievan...@gmail.com
> <mailto:ievan...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I was in the process of hacking together some simple bindings for a
> personal project when I noticed there wasn't really any python
> bindings in this page <https://github.com/collection-json>, so I
> decided to develop the idea into a separate python module
> <https://github.com/ievans3024/PyCollectionJSON>.
>
> I tried my best to balance interacting with data pythonically with
> being able to easily generate Collection+JSON documents to spec (I
> did my best to follow the format, let me know if I missed anything!)
> It should follow the requirements/options accordingly, and still be
> extensible in places where it won't directly contradict spec.
>
> This is my first project for serious public use, and I'd like some
> feedback on it.
>
> I haven't written any how-to documentation on it yet, so if anything
> is confusing, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ian
>
> --

Marc Christensen

Feb 3, 2015, 6:35:54 PM2/3/15
to collect...@googlegroups.com
Has there been any more work on a Python implementation of Collection+JSON?  I have looked at the implementation here: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/collection-json/0.1.0 and found that it's great for inspecting Cj documents but not great for manipulating/appending/adding/etc.  In fact, there are no methods in the library for modifying or adding items to a collection (unless I'm missing something).  I was able to append an item to the Collection.items but then when trying to access the data I had added, I got an error.  So, no validation happens on adding new items.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been using this library for Cj work on Python or if there is another route?

Thanks,

Marc

Marc Christensen

Feb 3, 2015, 6:52:20 PM2/3/15
to collect...@googlegroups.com
I may have spoken prematurely here.  I think the issue may be that there are no examples of adding or creating items or of modifying existing Cj documents.  The library may alredy have all the functionality, I'm just not sure on how to go about using it....  Pointers and/or examples may be useful if you have any.

Thanks.