Microservices Communication

Jeff Chastain

Apr 4, 2018, 9:38:19 AM4/4/18
to ColdBox Platform
Guys,

I have been going through all of the microservices presentations again recently and I get the concept, but the piece I am missing is the inter-service or gateway to service communications process.  I have not done a full load balanced test or anything but it would seem that using HTTP/REST communication between the API gateway layer and the microservice would be very slow.  Maybe sockets are the answer, but I have never used them in the past.

From a theory perspective, it seems pretty straight forward ... a new instance of the inventory service for example comes only and registers itself with some sort of proxy layer.  The API gateway can then pass requests to that instance and get back the data it needs.

It seems like there is a ____box module for just about everything, but I have not found any practical examples of this yet.

Anybody got any experience or references?

Thanks,
-- Jeff