[coldbox-4.2.0] Developing on a remote server

Ron Coulter

Jul 8, 2016, 2:50:51 PM7/8/16
to ColdBox Platform
In our CF environment, developers map a drive to a shared development server and develop on the server (a Windows box running CF11 on IIS.)
So we'll have our drive set up like
M:\webserver\app1
M:\webserver\app2
etc
and the server admin sets up our urls like
etc
We don't have access to CF Administrator.
I'd like to do some ColdBox development without bothering our server administrator to install anything.
I managed to create a simple app by runnning commmandbox:>create app on my harddrive and copying the resulting folder onto the remote server. It runs, but I can't figure out how to do something like create a handler.
To install CommandBox on the server, I would need access to modify the PATHS setting on the server, correct?
I tried installing the ColdFusion Platform Utilities in CF Builder, but don't know what the CF Server settings should look like.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Ron

Ron Coulter

Jul 12, 2016, 4:31:37 PM7/12/16
to ColdBox Platform
So just in case anybody else has the same dumb question I did, I discovered all you have to do is copy box.exe into your folder and create your app.
Duh.

Andrew Scott

Jul 12, 2016, 4:38:28 PM7/12/16
to col...@googlegroups.com
​Personally developing on a shared server is never good for productivity.​

Regards,
Andrew Scott

br...@bradwood.com

Jul 12, 2016, 4:47:35 PM7/12/16
to col...@googlegroups.com
box.exe doesn't need to be in the folder, just in your computer's PATH environment variable.  CommandBox also has the ability to start up ad-hoc server (Adobe and Lucee) in any folder.  These are full servers with a CF admin and everything.  Start as many as you like with a single command.  You might look into this as a replacement development environment for each of your devs.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox/CommandBox Developer Advocate
Ortus Solutions, Corp