Rendering a view within a service

D B

Sep 5, 2016, 1:03:09 PM9/5/16
to ColdBox Platform

I have written a process which sends bulk emails asynchronously.

Each time a handler is invoked, a service method 'processEmailQueue' is called which iterates over a number of available threads, each thread grabbing 10 records from the outstanding queue, building the content of the email for that user and sending it to the SMTP server.

I want to be able to generate the content of the email from a view, passing in the data from that user to be rendered. If this was a handler I would do something like

var emailContent = renderView( view="/email/emailtemplate", args=userData );

What would be the best way of doing this from within the service? Or should the process which creates the threads and generates the content take place in a handler, calling service methods?

Thanks

Ancient Programmer

Sep 5, 2016, 11:34:41 PM9/5/16
to ColdBox Platform
In your model, you add this:

property name="renderer" inject="provider:coldbox:renderer";

and then call the view from your service method:
mail.setBody(renderer.get().renderLayout(
view = "email/emailtemplate",
args = userData
));

br...@bradwood.com

Sep 5, 2016, 11:44:24 PM9/5/16
to col...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to ask WireBox for an instance of "renderer@coldbox" which is the core rendering helper.  This is a transient, and you need a new instance of the renderer for each view (or at least don't re-use the same renderer instance in two threads at the same time).

You can then ask the renderer to render your view for you.  In this example, we  inject a provider which will return a new object every time you call get().

property name="renderer" inject="provider:coldbox:renderer";

var html = renderer.get().renderExternalView( view="/models/email_templates/password_reset" );

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox/CommandBox Developer Advocate
Ortus Solutions, Corp