Help needed to start contributing in codeworld.

praja...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 4:13:42 PM3/13/18
to codeworld-discuss
Hello,
        I am Prajawal Sinha , sophomore at International Institute Of Information Technology (Computer Science Engineering). I have been working on Haskell from last 2-3 months and now wish to contribute in some real life problems and applications . On searching ,I got to know about Codeworld . I have been using codeworld and getting myself acquainted with it from last 4 days . Now I wish to contribute to the Codeworld community . Please , could someone guide me? also what all packages are needed to setup codeworld on my machine, as I am facing some issues regarding the same.

Regards

Chris Smith

Mar 13, 2018, 4:59:07 PM3/13/18
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
As far as the install, this is normally done on a Linux machine.  (I can try to help with Windows, but I've never done it.  MacOS is probably easier than Windows, but since I've never used it, I don't know.)

You'd normally do it like this:

1. Optionally, create a new user account to run the server.  This isn't necessary, but the install scripts will delete your local package databases and config (~/.ghc and ~/.cabal)
2. Clone the repository.
3. From the CodeWorld directory created, run ./install.sh
4. Run ./run.sh

This can take several hours, because GHC and GHCJS take a long time to build.  If you run into problems, please file a bug with the relevant output at https://github.com/google/codeworld/issues/new  I'll kick off a new install now to make sure it's still working.

How to contribute is a more open question.  A quick way to get a simple contribution would be to read through and revise something in the Guide (https://github.com/google/codeworld/tree/master/web/help, Guide*.md).  For other ideas where to get started, feel free to peruse the bug tracker or form your own opinions about improvements you'd like to see.  I'm happy to offer feedback on ideas that you have.

praja...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 5:13:43 PM3/13/18
to codeworld-discuss
I have been trying to do the same but it shows the error  "WARNING: Could not find package manager.

Make sure necessary packages are installed.

./install.sh: line 127: /sbin/ldconfig: No such file or directory

./install.sh: line 129: /sbin/ldconfig: No such file or directory

Sorry, but no supported libgmp is installed."
could you please point out where am I wrong?

Regards

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 1:13 PM, <praja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
        I am Prajawal Sinha , sophomore at International Institute Of Information Technology (Computer Science Engineering). I have been working on Haskell from last 2-3 months and now wish to contribute in some real life problems and applications . On searching ,I got to know about Codeworld . I have been using codeworld and getting myself acquainted with it from last 4 days . Now I wish to contribute to the Codeworld community . Please , could someone guide me? also what all packages are needed to setup codeworld on my machine, as I am facing some issues regarding the same.

Regards

Chris Smith

Mar 13, 2018, 5:15:48 PM3/13/18
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Which Linux distribution are you using?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/codeworld-discuss/b65a3352-8586-4439-bcea-b0bb565dec79%40googlegroups.com.

praja...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 5:19:25 PM3/13/18
to codeworld-discuss
Working on mac os X.

Chris Smith

Mar 13, 2018, 5:22:52 PM3/13/18
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Okay.  In that case, you'll need to handle getting the prerequisites installed on your own.  If you read the beginning of install.sh, you'll see (several times, for different package managers) a list of packages that are expected by the install script, and libgmp is there.  I'm not familiar with Haskell on MacOS, so I'm not sure exactly how to go about this.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/codeworld-discuss/97b411ae-fb98-424a-a53b-fe064e84fa40%40googlegroups.com.

prajawal sinha

Mar 14, 2018, 1:52:47 PM3/14/18
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Could you please help me out with "Sorry, but no supported libgmp is installed." , this is the error shown whenever I am trying to run install.sh.

Tom Davies

Mar 14, 2018, 11:12:30 PM3/14/18
to codeworld-discuss
That message really means that OS X doesn't have a package manager that the install.sh script recognizes.

My inclination would be to use a Linux VM on OS X, unless your actual goal is an OS X port.

Download the 'osx hosts' version of VirtualBox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Install virtual box
Download a linux image, e.g. https://www.ubuntu.com/download/server -- I chose 17.10.1
Create a virtual box vm (I just used all the defaults) and initialize it from that iso image.
Clone https://github.com/google/codeworld.git (git is already installed)
cd codeworld
./install.sh

and off you go.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Tom

Tom Davies

Mar 15, 2018, 1:07:03 AM3/15/18
to codeworld-discuss

On Thursday, 15 March 2018 14:12:30 UTC+11, Tom Davies wrote:
Create a virtual box vm (I just used all the defaults) and initialize it from that iso image.

In fact more than the default RAM (1GB) is required -- I'm now trying 2GB.

Tom Davies

Mar 15, 2018, 10:59:02 PM3/15/18
to codeworld-discuss
In addition, the image I chose doesn't have npm installed, so you'll need to 'sudo apt-get install -y nom' before you run ./install.sh

prajawal sinha

Mar 16, 2018, 2:58:36 AM3/16/18
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Tom for the support you provided me . Will just try it all out by today evening . Hope it works well.