Setting Up the Development Environment

Pranjal Tale

Apr 12, 2017, 5:07:23 PM4/12/17
to codeworld-discuss
Hi,
  This is Pranjal Tale, a sophomore at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India. While surfing through the list of projects in summer.haskell.org I got introduced with codeworld and found it very interesting. I would like to contribute to the same also.

While setting up the development environment, I am getting some error. The error is my local machine is unable to search for a package named 'binary-amd64' (I have Ubuntu16.04 on my local machine)
When I run the command ./install.sh, I get a certain error:-
ERROR:-
W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/canonical-qt5-edgers/qt5-proper/ubuntu xenial Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/canonical-qt5-edgers/ubuntu1204-qt5/ubuntu xenial Release' does not have a Release file.
W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/fossfreedom/packagefixes/ubuntu xenial Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

So Where should I look for this package?
Thanks in advance!

Regards
Pranjal Tale
pranjaltale16.github.io

Chris Smith

Apr 12, 2017, 5:25:43 PM4/12/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
It looks like there is something wing with your Ubuntu package configuration.  Can you use apt-get normally?

Pranjal Tale

Apr 12, 2017, 5:35:43 PM4/12/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I can use apt-get normally.

Is there any other alternative for this?
I tried to look into ubuntu-packages site but can't find anything.

Chris Smith

Apr 14, 2017, 4:15:45 PM4/14/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
One thing you can definitely do is install the packages listed in install.sh by hand (lines 62-85), and then comment out that part of the install file.  I have a hard time explaining why apt-get install is working when you run it, but not when the shell script runs it.

Gergely Mészáros

Apr 18, 2017, 7:56:21 AM4/18/17
to codeworld-discuss
According to the error messages, the OP is using custom repositories (PPAs) which are broken. Disable the custom repos in /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* and restart the install script.

Regards,
Gergely
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to codeworld-disc...@googlegroups.com.

Pranjal Tale

Apr 18, 2017, 9:17:36 AM4/18/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

I build the code and installed all the dependencies too. When i run the script './run.sh', Everything starts perfectly and but when I compile code in my localhost nothing happens no error is shown, only the compiling icon keeps on rotating.
I am not getting any error message in the terminal console nor in the browser. How can i look into it to resolve the issue? Shall I rebuild the code once again(after deleting the current one )?

Regards,
Pranjal Tale
pranjaltale16.github.io

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/codeworld-discuss/e9f2be79-2ab4-4dfa-b90a-9e7dff2fd928%40googlegroups.com.

Chris Smith

Apr 23, 2017, 1:15:45 AM4/23/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Pranjal, sorry to hear you're still having problems.  What I would do in these situations is:

1) Check your JavaScript console for errors in the browser.
2) Check your network traffic (most browser debug tools make it easy to do), and look for the request to /compile.  If it's failing, you'll likely find the error message there.

As a guess, it might be that you need to create the 'data' subdir inside the codeworld working directory?  I symlink to a reliable network drive for production, but for local development, you can just run mkdir and be done with it.

Pranjal Tale

Apr 25, 2017, 5:32:54 PM4/25/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
I looked into it and found there is some issue with CodeMirror. codemirror-compressed.js is an empty file with an error message in it.
I am having my End Term Examinations till 28th April, after that we have summer vacations for next 3 months.

I will continue with this from 28th only.

Chris Smith

Apr 26, 2017, 12:16:53 AM4/26/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
It might help if you could post the error message.  I do not see this problem myself, so I don't know what could be going wrong for you.

Thanks,
Chris

Pranjal Tale

Apr 29, 2017, 4:57:52 AM4/29/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

So here is the issue, When I run install.js everything runs perfectly till the last step i.e. run function build_codemirror. So I commented out that line and tried to execute that manually. When I run the same command manually it executes perfectly, but when I open codemirror-compressed.js, "Some specified files were not found: codemirror" this is saved in the file.
I think probably this is the issue, that it is not getting the codemirror file

I checked for the file in CodeMirror/lib but there is only one file codemirror.css. I have to mainly provide it with the codemirror file, where can I find that?
P.S. I tried to run build_codemirror function without keyword 'codemirror' and everything went fine.

Chris Smith

Apr 29, 2017, 1:34:09 PM4/29/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
The lib/codemirror.js for should have been created when the install script ran `npm install` just before invoking that function.  If you run that one manually, is there an error message there?

Pranjal Tale

Apr 29, 2017, 2:08:40 PM4/29/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
No, there is no error message but I am getting one Warning message as " npm WARN lifecycle codem...@5.23.0~prepublish: cannot run in wd %s %s (wd=%s) codem...@5.23.0 npm run-script build /home/pranjal/projects/codeworld/build/CodeMirror ".

Chris Smith

Apr 29, 2017, 4:19:16 PM4/29/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, I don't know for sure.

Searching for "cannot run in wd" suggests that it is a permissions problem.  Furthermore, a few sources say that `npm install` tries to downgrade its permissions if it's run as root, so you may have this problem if you are running install.sh as root.  Earlier steps may have created directories to only be accessible to root, and then when npm downgrades permissions, it could be unable to access them.

Pranjal Tale

Apr 29, 2017, 6:00:04 PM4/29/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
I was running install.sh as a root because at several points it require root and when I tried it to run it with the help of my local user it gave permission error to me.

Is that file (codemirror.js) system based or a generic one?
If it is generic one you can share the file directly that might solve all the problems.

Chris Smith

Apr 29, 2017, 6:31:28 PM4/29/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Ah, okay.  Root should only be required for running apt-get.  Try running `chown -R pranjal.pranjal build` in the codeworld dir, and see if that makes it work?

But you can definitely take the prebuilt JavaScript file at https://code.world/js/codemirror-compressed.js and copy it into web/js directly.  That would avoid the need to finish running install.sh.  You might still need to fix permissions for the build directory, in order for build.sh to succeed.

Pranjal Tale

Apr 30, 2017, 2:56:09 AM4/30/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Okay, so I successfully build the codeworld platform and everything is running perfectly.
Thanks!

Chris Smith

Apr 30, 2017, 3:01:43 AM4/30/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear it!  Thanks for your patience working through the bumps.  I'll definitely try to catch some of this in advance and save others the trouble.  Or, it's been suggested that I switch the install and build process to use nix and nix-pkgs, and this is seeming more and more appealing!