Updates on CodeWorld

Chris Smith

Jul 3, 2014, 3:59:03 AM7/3/14
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone!  Just a few quick updates on the CodeWorld site.

Auto complete: I've just finished adding auto-complete for CodeWorld.  So start pressing Ctrl-Space and receive enlightenment! :)

Language extensions: Since I didn't want CodeWorld programs to start with a laundry list of LANGUAGE pragmas the way most Haskell code does these days, I've added quite a few language extensions to the default enabled set.  You now get everything from ScopedTypeVariables to RankNTypes to ParallelListComps to RecordWildCards and more, pre-enabled for you.  I don't think I have enabled anything that should break your code!  I've also tweaked the enabled warnings, mostly by removing warnings that are generated by code that I want to encourage students to write.

Bug fixes: At the same time, I fixed the syntax highlighting so that it highlights builtins from the customized Prelude (previously, it highlighted based on the Haskell standard Prelude, which is growing increasingly inaccurate.  I also fixed the handling of runtime errors, so if your program dies with a runtime error, it will now show up in the messages box and shade the box red, the same way it does with a compiler error.

Heads-Up About Caching: It seems that browser caches are causing some tricky issues for some people.  If you run into CodeWorld misbehaving, the first thing to try is clearing your browser cache.  This is a bug, and I'll fix it once I understand better what's going on, but that seems to be a work-around for the time being.

Documentation Coming Soon!  Good news!  I'm working with a teacher this summer to put together a really nice tutorial, video series, accompanying workbooks and teaching guides, and other documentation to help teachers and other people use the site more effectively.  We'll make a more official announcement soon with details, but I am pretty excited and can't keep it to myself!

That's all for now.