Initial version of Blocks for CodeWorld

Stefan J

Jun 30, 2016, 12:07:16 PM6/30/16
to codeworld-discuss
Hi everyone,

An early version of the block based environment for CodeWorld is now live at: code.world/blocks.

Currently simple CodeWorld applications can be built (mostly pictures).
It supports the following features currently:
  • Drag-and-drop blocks onto the canvas, which can be snapped into each other to build programs
  • Generating code, and running simple Code World applications
  • Simple validation and error feedback.
There is some support for polymorphic blocks (if-then-else blocks and so on) and let definitions as well.

A simple example application from Chris can be found here.

Timothee Besset

Sep 3, 2016, 5:50:31 PM9/3/16
to codeworld-discuss
Great stuff. The kids latched on to it immediately: https://code.world/blocks#PIzUKxgNK5PTklN8e4O7rKA ;-)

Tom Davies

Sep 5, 2016, 1:34:15 AM9/5/16
to codeworld-discuss
Very cool -- seems to work better in Chrome than Safari, by the way.

Timothee Besset

Sep 5, 2016, 11:26:36 AM9/5/16
to codeworld-discuss
We couldn't figure out how to animate though, this is as close as we could get:

Tom Davies

Sep 5, 2016, 7:57:53 PM9/5/16
to codeworld-discuss

On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 01:26:36 UTC+10, Timothee Besset wrote:
We couldn't figure out how to animate though, this is as close as we could get:

Look in the 'Definitions' tab and you'll find a 'turning' block you can use as a parameter of animationOf

e.g. https://code.world/blocks#PhStRW0Y6abDd6lcWxodv9w (if that's publicly visible)