CodeWorld instructional videos

Chris Smith

Feb 25, 2018, 3:53:13 AM2/25/18
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
I've been lately working on creating instructional videos for CodeWorld, aimed at middle school ages.  If you'd like to check them out, I've posted the first batch to YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG7tJ7kkCaZKA_hrxuZT1XlbxVl0eDz4X

I have a long way to go; this is the first fourth of the first unit, and there are nine units planned for the complete course.  The intent is that a class could reasonably cover about two videos in a typical U.S. (45-55 minute) class period.  For an approximate grade level, the entire course (once complete) would be suitable for a full school-year elective class for 7th through 9th grades, or could be divided into parts for multiple classes through 6th through 9th grades.

The general outline of the class will be:
  • Unit 1: Expressions
  • Unit 2: Functions
  • Unit 3: Change
  • Unit 4: Repetition
  • Unit 5: Dynamics and State
  • Unit 6: Computation
  • Unit 7: Interaction
  • Unit 8: Data
  • Unit 9: Modeling
Each unit will comprise about 4 weeks of content for a full time class.

Please let me know if you find this useful, and also if you have any feedback, suggestions, or ideas.  However, note that I consider completing the videos to be a higher priority than fine-tuning the videos already made.  I'm not good enough at the medium yet that "quick fixes" are possible.  All lessons are licensed as Creative Commons (Attribution), so you're also welcome to modify, translate, or make use of the content in whatever way you like, with credit.

Cheers,
Chris Smith