Better collaborative coding features in CodeWorld

Harsh Vardhan

Apr 30, 2017, 5:12:04 AM4/30/17
to codeworld-discuss
Hi everyone,

Greetings from India. I'm Harsh and I am interested in adding collaborative coding features in CodeWorld. I have setup the codeworld environment and currently reading the docs. Is there any prior work done on this?

I saw your BayHac Talk on CodeWorld and it was great to see that students were taught, Haskell! I wish I had Haskell when I was in school. It would be great if you can guide me through the next steps.

Thanks,
Harsh

Chris Smith

Apr 30, 2017, 5:24:20 AM4/30/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Hello, nice to meet you!

There has been no previous work done on collaborative coding in CodeWorld.  I could give you a few leads; but before we get that far, were you looking at this as a possible project for Summer of Haskell (http://summer.haskell.org)?  Or just as a contribution to try on your own?

Student proposals for Summer of Haskell are due this coming Friday, so I don't know what will or will not happen there yet.  But I do know that at least two students have expressed interest in this as a project for the summer.  So if you were just considering this as a personal contribution, you might hold off until we select students for the summer, since it's likely that a student may end up working on it this summer.

If you were actually planning to propose it yourself as a Summer of Haskell project, then I wouldn't want to stop you!  Just keep in mind that we can't accept more than one proposal to do the same thing, so you're signing up for a bit more competition there.

Harsh Vardhan

Apr 30, 2017, 5:29:49 AM4/30/17
to codeworld-discuss

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 2:54:20 PM UTC+5:30, Chris Smith wrote:
Hello, nice to meet you!

There has been no previous work done on collaborative coding in CodeWorld.  I could give you a few leads; but before we get that far, were you looking at this as a possible project for Summer of Haskell (http://summer.haskell.org)?  Or just as a contribution to try on your own?
Oh sorry. I didn't mention that. Yes, I was considering it as a project for Summer of Haskell.

Student proposals for Summer of Haskell are due this coming Friday, so I don't know what will or will not happen there yet.  But I do know that at least two students have expressed interest in this as a project for the summer.  So if you were just considering this as a personal contribution, you might hold off until we select students for the summer, since it's likely that a student may end up working on it this summer.

If you were actually planning to propose it yourself as a Summer of Haskell project, then I wouldn't want to stop you!  Just keep in mind that we can't accept more than one proposal to do the same thing, so you're signing up for a bit more competition there.
Haha! I'm pretty much excited for it. :)

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 2:12 AM, Harsh Vardhan <hars...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Greetings from India. I'm Harsh and I am interested in adding collaborative coding features in CodeWorld. I have setup the codeworld environment and currently reading the docs. Is there any prior work done on this?

I saw your BayHac Talk on CodeWorld and it was great to see that students were taught, Haskell! I wish I had Haskell when I was in school. It would be great if you can guide me through the next steps.

Thanks,
Harsh

Harsh Vardhan

Chris Smith

Apr 30, 2017, 6:08:12 AM4/30/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
There's a pretty detailed list of possible projects at https://github.com/google/codeworld/blob/master/SummerOfHaskell.md, under the heading "Project Ideas"

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/codeworld-discuss/5759b77e-da70-461a-98a6-639c8d1fe39f%40googlegroups.com.

Harsh Vardhan

Apr 30, 2017, 6:11:17 AM4/30/17
to codeworld-discuss
Cool! Is there any specific features you wanted to be built related with collaborative coding. Like adding comments on specific lines(like Google Docs does) ?

Chris Smith

Apr 30, 2017, 8:50:17 AM4/30/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
No, I don't have a detailed specification for that feature.  In general, I tend to be in favor of keeping things simple.  So, for example, when there are already comments in code, I don't see a big need to add a separate comment system in the margins.  Some way of inviting callaborators, accepting the invitation, and typing in the same document seems like a good plan.

One tricky part here is that privacy is a big deal.  Since this is used by children, we cannot build a system that could be used to start interacting with random people over the internet.  It's also best to steer clear of sharing personal information such as names or email addresses of other collaborators.  So invites by links or codes that have to be shared are a good idea.  And if you identify the collaborators, think about identifying them with some kind of auto-generated nickname instead of asking them to pick a name.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/codeworld-discuss/6b47db67-c5eb-46a0-9bb2-2cb00b46792d%40googlegroups.com.

Chris Smith

May 2, 2017, 8:11:48 PM5/2/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
I was just thinking about this comment I made in this thread about collaborative coding:

So, for example, when there are already comments in code, I don't see a
> big need to add a separate comment system in the margins.

I just wanted to say: I take it back!  I was wrong!

Sure, there's one form of collaboration where everyone is writing the same document together.  But there's a whole different kind of collaboration where a student is writing the document, and others are guiding them in doing so.  This can happen between a student and their teacher; or just between a student and a friend who is helping them out.  In these cases, editing student code seems to cross a line; but you still want to leave comments pointing to specific spots in the code.

I was just experiencing this earlier today.  A student asked for help, and I wanted to point out four or five different locations where there were careless errors here and there.  That's quite difficult to do without pointers to the code!  Yet I wasn't really collaborating, exactly.