Announcing: easier installation!

Chris Smith

Sep 7, 2014, 3:14:03 AM9/7/14
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

(This email is about installing your own local version of CodeWorld.
To be clear, you don't need to do that to use it. This is just for
people wanting to help make changes to the site.)

This weekend, I finally got around to fixing up the installation
script that Tim sent me some time ago. The installation instructions
for CodeWorld are now vastly simplified: just check out a fresh copy
of the repository, and do

cd codeworld
./install.sh
./run.sh

This works on Ubuntu Tahr, and CentOS 6.5. If it works on other
systems, let me know. (And if you change the script to get it working
there, send a pull request!)

Tim Docker

Sep 7, 2014, 6:36:16 AM9/7/14
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Nice work on the installation script! It's good to see that it works for both rpm and deb based distributions.

When I wrote the original version of this, I tried to lock down specific commits in the git clones, as the underlying branches were changing (and breaking!) all the time. This was only partially successful, as some of the commands pull more from git (ghcjs-boot if I remember correctly)  .

Do you think that the underlying tooling has stabilised enough that this is no longer a likely problem?

Chris Smith

Sep 7, 2014, 12:27:54 PM9/7/14
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I do think that GHCJS has stabilized enough, and I took that out
because ghcjs-boot no longer worked with those older versions. When
you first did the installation, GHCJS was in transition from running
Template Haskell by building native code, to running it as local
JavaScript with node.js. That made GHCJS difficult to install for a
while. I think that problem has passed.