Applications are now open for Summer of Haskell

Chris Smith

Apr 25, 2017, 8:23:24 PM4/25/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

Just a reminder that CodeWorld is sponsoring two students this summer to work on improving the environment, as part of Summer of Haskell.  More details on the general program are at http://summer.haskell.org, and an overview of CodeWorld's project needs is at https://github.com/google/codeworld/blob/master/SummerOfHaskell.md.

Summer of Haskell is now accepting applications, and applications are due by May 6.

If you are a student, feel free to reach out to me for early advice or feedback about your proposal.  There's more information above about what makes a good proposal, which projects look promising, and links for some background about the CodeWorld project.

If you know a student, please encourage them to take a look at Summer of Haskell.  This is a great opportunity for an otherwise-bored college student, as well as for the Haskell community.

Thanks, and good luck with the proposals!

Hitesh Bhagchandani

Dec 16, 2017, 10:48:54 PM12/16/17
to codeworld-discuss
Hello, everyone! I am an undergraduate pursuing Computer Science (3rd Year). I am a beginner with respect to Haskell and would like to know how I can start contributing to Open Source in Haskell. I also intend to participate in HSoC ! Any guidance would be of great help.

Chris Smith

Dec 18, 2017, 1:51:02 AM12/18/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hitesh,

Unfortunately, thje email you're responding to was from last April.  The 2017 Summer of Haskell program has already come and gone.  It's likely that something like this will occur again in 2018, but these decisions definitely haven't been made yet.  It's also not yet decided whether CodeWorld will participate again, since the program relies on donations.  The best way to stay up-to-date on Summer of Haskell and similar programs is probably to follow the haskell-cafe mailing list, or reddit.com/r/haskell.

To answer the more general question, I think the only viable way to contribute to open source projects, in Haskell or elsewhere, is to start using projects that interest you, and keep going until you start to really get the philosophy and vision of the project, and have ideas about how to further those ideals.  I (and probably other people on this mailing list) would be happy to help you become familiar with CodeWorld, if you go that route.  The best place to start is probably the Guide button at http://code.world.  An easy way to start contributing is to file bugs (at http://github.com/google/codeworld) letting us know if anything is confusing or seems missing from the guide.  You can also send pull requests to expand on the guide, by modifying https://github.com/google/codeworld/blob/master/web/help/codeworld.md

Hope that helps!

Hitesh Bhagchandani