Using codeworld as part of a Haskell course aimed at 1st year uni students

Dave Sands

Jul 31, 2017, 4:58:15 AM7/31/17
to codeworld-discuss

Hi

I'm teaching Haskell as a first programming language to beginners at university level.  Some have coded before, and some haven't.   I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has used codeworld at this level or similar. I'm thinking of just the very intro, to give a good visual intro to using functions, definitions, comprehensions - perhaps even recursion, before moving into Haskell proper.

Cheers
Dave

Dave Sands

Jul 31, 2017, 5:00:27 AM7/31/17
to codeworld-discuss
Sorry - I see there is another thread on this topic - I'll read that first. / D

Joachim Breitner

Jul 31, 2017, 11:08:40 AM7/31/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

http://cis.upenn.edu/~cis194/fall16/ might be relevant, the first four
weeks started with CodeWorld (in haskell mode), and then we
transitioned to “normal” Haskell editing.

Joachim
> --
> om.
> msgid/codeworld-discuss/7fe9be67-0d2e-4a4e-85e2-
> cfa7191dad9c%40googlegroups.com.
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  ma...@joachim-breitner.dehttps://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  XMPP: nom...@joachim-breitner.de • OpenPGP-Key: 0xF0FBF51F
  Debian Developer: nom...@debian.org
signature.asc

Dave Sands

Aug 1, 2017, 3:21:38 AM8/1/17
to codeworld-discuss
Thanks Joachim - I'll contact you for more details on how it went.

Regarding the servers, how many simultaneous users can the system reasonably cope with before response times suffer?

Chris Smith

Aug 3, 2017, 4:08:11 PM8/3/17
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

The CodeWorld system has generally been fine in the face of very high load in the past, and I'm happy to scale it as needed to accomodate use in your class.  ANU hit the server pretty hard last Spring, and it mostly coped very well.  It's hard to attach a concrete number to simultaneous users, because it depends on usage patterns.  As a worst case, I've managed to cause it to load shed a bit in the past, when I got 40 kids to type a program all at the same time and then said "Okay, everyone click Run now".  I rearranged the first day of class to stop doing that, and haven't had any other problems.

Give me a heads up when the class begins, so I can watch for any problems.