How to keep tables from DB mysql in sync on a galera cluster?

Neven Luetic

Feb 10, 2015, 4:23:11 PM2/10/15
to codersh...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am in the process of setting up a cluster (with HAProxy, keepalived), which is going to include a galera cluster with mariadb 10.0.10.

The application, which uses the databases, makes changes to the mysql DB, especially to the user table. This does not happen too frequently, but often enough to exclude the possibility of handling this manually.

The tables in the mysql DB are myIsam and are therefore not replicated across the cluster nodes. According to the several answers in this forum, the flag wsrep_replicate_myisam, which would offer this feature, should not be used and will probably never loose its experimental status.

On the other hand, it seems not to be possible to convert this database to InnoDB.

So what options are there to handle changes to the system tables in a galera cluster? The least desirable solution would be, if the application would have to be "cluster aware" and update multiple databases for this to work.

I would be glad if somebody would share his experiences on this.

--
Greetings

Neven

Daniel Black

Feb 10, 2015, 5:56:57 PM2/10/15
to Neven Luetic, codersh...@googlegroups.com

> On the other hand, it seems not to be possible to convert this database to
> InnoDB.

correct.

> So what options are there to handle changes to the system tables in a
> galera cluster? The least desirable solution would be, if the application
> would have to be "cluster aware" and update multiple databases for this to
> work.

Use the proper manipulation commands like grant/revoke/create user/set password etc rather than manipulating the tables directly and these will replicate.

Daniel Black, Engineer @ Open Query (http://openquery.com.au)
Remote expertise & maintenance for MySQL/MariaDB server environments.