The wsrep-new-cluster life after a cluster bootstrap done

Bogdan Dobrelya

Jun 17, 2016, 8:55:46 AM6/17/16
to codership
Hello.
Reading the
http://galeracluster.com/documentation-webpages/startingcluster.html I
cannot answer the question "Is it unsafe to leave a few nodes running
with the --wsrep-new-cluster key after the initial cluster bootstrapping
finished?". I consider it harmful for later leave/join events as nodes
may join -then make progress- to a "different clusters", which is nodes
running with the new cluster key. Is it so? Are nodes with the key
treated as separate clusters? How this works in details?

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,

Jörg Brühe

Jun 17, 2016, 9:33:09 AM6/17/16
to codersh...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
In any Galera Cluster, you cannot have "a few nodes running with the
--wsrep-new-cluster key":
Any node started with this option will form a cluster of its own, not
join an existing cluster, so there will be at most one per cluster.
("One" as long as it continues to run, "none" after it stopped, even if
it is restarted again.)

The option "--wsrep-new-cluster" takes effect only when a node starts:
- With it, it will come up and form the nucleus of a new cluster,
- without it, it will try to join the other nodes (listed in "my.cnf")
and abort if this joining fails.

You may leave the node running, there is no need to restart it once the
cluster is formed.

HTH,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe, Senior MySQL Support Engineer, joerg....@fromdual.com
FromDual GmbH, Rebenweg 6, CH - 8610 Uster