Which mysql client binary should I install (CentOS 6)?

Richard Lloyd

Jun 26, 2014, 9:42:56 AM6/26/14
to codersh...@googlegroups.com
After downloading the 64-bit CentOS 6 RPMs for MySQL server 5.6.16-25.5 and the Galera wsrep provider 25.3.5 from http://galeracluster.com/downloads/  it struck me that there was no /usr/bin/mysql binary in either RPM package.

The install docs very quickly start using the "mysql" command of course, so what is the recommended RPM I should install to provide the mysql command? Note that attempting to install either CentOS 6's mysql-5.1.73 package or mysql.com's mysql-community-5.6.16 package both led to conflicts with the Galera MySQL server package. I suspect that whatever solution people mention here should go somewhere in the docs (and maybe on the downloads page itself)?

alexey.y...@galeracluster.com

Jun 28, 2014, 1:47:49 PM6/28/14
to codersh...@googlegroups.com
Traditionally MySQL server and client binaries are distributed in
separate packages both by all major distributions and Oracle itself.
Since wsrep patch does not touch the client code, Codership builds and
distributes only MySQL server package. For a client one can use whatever
mysql client is his favourite, e.g. the one that comes with the
distribution, or the one from the Oracle site, etc.

Regards,
Alex