Galera

Eric Feldhusen

Jun 23, 2014, 1:41:35 PM6/23/14
to codersh...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering how to determine what my innodb_log_file_size should be for my Galera cluster? What should I be referencing to determine a size for that?

I'm running MariaDB 5.5.34 Galera cluster with galera 23.2.7 and in my matching test Galera cluster, I notice I can't just shut down Galera, adjust the innodb_log_file_size to a new value and restart. The node won't start up, so I"m assuming to adjust this setting, I'd have to shut off Galera on all the nodes, and bring the cluster back up, which isn't a problem, just checking to see if I'm correct.

Any suggestions?

Eric Feldhusen

Jay Janssen

Jun 23, 2014, 2:12:54 PM6/23/14
to Eric Feldhusen, codersh...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 23, 2014, at 1:41 PM, Eric Feldhusen <efeldhus...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm wondering how to determine what my innodb_log_file_size should be for my Galera cluster? What should I be referencing to determine a size for that?

It’s not really a Galera question, it’s a “how to tune Innodb” question.  Search around for some general Innodb tuning advice here.

I'm running MariaDB 5.5.34 Galera cluster with galera 23.2.7 and in my matching test Galera cluster, I notice I can't just shut down Galera, adjust the innodb_log_file_size to a new value and restart. The node won't start up, so I"m assuming to adjust this setting, I'd have to shut off Galera on all the nodes, and bring the cluster back up, which isn't a problem, just checking to see if I'm correct.

Any suggestions?

Community 5.6 and I assume MariaDB 10 have the ability to resize innodb_log_file with just a restart, but prior to that (like on your 5.5 version) you have to stop mysql, delete the existing logs, change the value, and restart mysql.

Jay Janssen
Sign up now for Percona XtraDB Cluster/Galera training in San Jose, CA

signature.asc

alexey.y...@galeracluster.com

Jun 25, 2014, 11:37:02 AM6/25/14
On 2014-06-23 20:41, Eric Feldhusen wrote:
> I'm wondering how to determine what my innodb_log_file_size should be
> for
> my Galera cluster? What should I be referencing to determine a size for
> that?
>
> I'm running MariaDB 5.5.34 Galera cluster with galera 23.2.7 and in my
> matching test Galera cluster, I notice I can't just shut down Galera,
> adjust the innodb_log_file_size to a new value and restart.

If you do that cleanly, it should result in IST (as opposed to SST) and
should work fine. But you really need to
1) shut mysqld down cleanly
2) remove old logfile before restart