replicate-ignore-db: reliability and network traffic

Paolo Bernardi

Aug 24, 2015, 2:50:27 PM8/24/15
to codership
Hello,

I've setup a 3-node cluster and I'm trying to avoid replicating some DBs on some nodes.
To do that I've used the directive replicate-ignore-db, as per https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-galera-cluster-known-limitations/
I have two questions about this:

1) Is it reliable? So far I've found out that the only (obvious) problem is that if I stop ignoring a DB the data previously replicated won't be automatically replicated to the node where it was previously ignored.

2) What about network traffic? If I ignore replication for a DB on a node, does the node still receive network traffic with replication data but silently discards it or it won't receive network traffic about it at all?

Thanks,

Paolo

Philip Stoev

Aug 25, 2015, 1:05:37 AM8/25/15
to Paolo Bernardi, codersh...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

> 1) Is it reliable? So far I've found out that the only (obvious) problem
> is that if I stop ignoring a DB the data previously replicated won't be
> automatically replicated to the node where it was previously ignored.

You are generally correct, but there is more to it. If you intend to use
replicate-ignore-db only on some of your nodes and not on others, you now
have a cluster where not all nodes contain the same snapshot of the data,
which is a major break in the logic of what a cluster is supposed to be. For
example, you may end up in a situation where a node that only has some of
the data serves as a donor to a joining node that is supposed to have all of
the data.

> 2) What about network traffic? If I ignore replication for a DB on a node,
> does the node still receive network traffic with replication data but
> silently discards it or it won't receive network traffic about it at all?

If you use replicate-ignore-db, all network traffic is received on all
nodes, but only ignored on some. If you use binlog-ignore-db, replication
events for the ignored database are not generated at all.

Philip Stoev