Master-Master Asynchronous Galera clusters viability

Galera_guy

Jun 24, 2016, 11:11:43 PM6/24/16
to codership
Hello everyone,

We've been using Galera Cluster in a geo-distributed mode for quite a while, but only from Virginia to California data centers.  We are currently looking into moving in Singapore, but we've noticed writes will take significantly longer around 200ms to complete vs the 80-100ms we are accustomed to.

Would 3 independent Maria DB 10.1 3-node clusters in 3 separate data centers, Singapore, California and Virginia be possible with a star topology using California as the central node?  Does anybody have any experience with this before we try it and have an information on potential downsides to this approach? Would engineering around the longer write times be a better approach?

I've done Master-Master replication before on Mysql 5.1 and it seemed to work fairly well, but I noticed the data could potentially drift between nodes when there are network issues.  I haven't tested this with the newer GTID based replication.

James Wang

Jun 29, 2016, 7:38:51 AM6/29/16
to codership
Worth trying.