InnoDB: No valid checkpoint

TAO ZHOU

Sep 6, 2017, 2:49:33 AM9/6/17
to codership

I am using xtrabackup for sst since it's the only non-blocking method.

I got the below error in innobackup.backup.log

170906 16:44:31 innobackupex: Starting the backup operation

IMPORTANT
: Please check that the backup run completes successfully.

At the end of a successful backup run innobackupex
           prints
"completed OK!".

170906 16:44:31  version_check Connecting to MySQL server with DSN 'dbi:mysql:;mysql_read_default_group=xtrabackup;port=3306;mysql_socket=/tmp/mysql.sock' as 'galera'  (using password: YES).
170906 16:44:31  version_check Connected to MySQL server
170906 16:44:31  version_check Executing a version check against the server...
170906 16:44:31  version_check Done.
170906 16:44:31 Connecting to MySQL server host: localhost, user: galera, password: set, port: 3306, socket: /tmp/mysql.sock
Using server version 10.2.7-MariaDB-log
innobackupex version
2.3.6 based on MySQL server 5.6.24 FreeBSD11.0 (amd64) (revision id: 7686bfc)
xtrabackup
: uses posix_fadvise().
xtrabackup
: cd to /var/mysql-data/
xtrabackup
: open files limit requested 0, set to 706509
xtrabackup
: using the following InnoDB configuration:
xtrabackup
:   innodb_data_home_dir = /var/mysql-data
xtrabackup
:   innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
xtrabackup
:   innodb_log_group_home_dir = /var/mysql-logs
xtrabackup
:   innodb_log_files_in_group = 8
xtrabackup
:   innodb_log_file_size = 536870912
xtrabackup
: using O_DIRECT
InnoDB: No valid checkpoint found.
InnoDB: If this error appears when you are creating an InnoDB database,
InnoDB: the problem may be that during an earlier attempt you managed
InnoDB: to create the InnoDB data files, but log file creation failed.
InnoDB: If that is the case, please refer to
InnoDB: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/error-creating-innodb.html

Any ideas?

Arjen Lentz

Sep 6, 2017, 9:19:09 PM9/6/17
to TAO ZHOU, codership-team
Hi

> xtrabackup: innodb_log_files_in_group = 8
> xtrabackup: innodb_log_file_size = 536870912

8 logs of 500M each, the size of the individual log files is probably way bigger than you need.
But that's a sideline.

> xtrabackup: using O_DIRECT
> InnoDB: No valid checkpoint found.
> InnoDB: If this error appears when you are creating an InnoDB database,
> InnoDB: the problem may be that during an earlier attempt you managed
> InnoDB: to create the InnoDB data files, but log file creation failed.
> InnoDB: If that is the case, please refer to
> InnoDB: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/error-creating-innodb.html
>
> Any ideas?

Well, the message itself is quite clear. The trick now is to find out why it's reporting that.

Does MySQL server/InnoDB report anything about this during startup, is it perfectly happy or are there some InnoDB warnings?

> xtrabackup: innodb_log_group_home_dir = /var/mysql-logs

Are the logs actually in the directory that xtrabackup reports?
What are the permissions on that directory and files, and the owner?

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query Pty Ltd
Your databases and online infrastructure. Managed.