Continuous Data Protection ?

Florent B

Jun 16, 2015, 3:32:04 AM6/16/15
to codersh...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Today I want to make a Continuous Data Protection Plan for my Galera
cluster.

I would like to be able to restore data at every "T" time in the last
day/week/month (whatever).

I do a daily backup of data using Xtrabackup.

And now, I would like to have a plan to backup the binlog.

In fact, "mysqlbinlog" tools does what I want
(--read-from-remote-server, --raw and --stop-never option), but this
functionality is only available in mysqlbinlog 3.4, in MySQL Server 5.6.
And of course, this version refuses to talk with MariaDB 10.0.X servers.

mysqlbinlog provided with MariaDB does not seem to do this.

Do you have an idea, or, how to you do this ?

Of course, the idea is to backup binlog out of my cluster, I already
know that binlogs are on each node, but this is not a backup to me.

Thank you a lot.

Florent B

Jun 16, 2015, 5:03:12 AM6/16/15
to Daniel Black, codership-team
On 06/16/2015 10:20 AM, Daniel Black wrote:

> ----- On 16 Jun, 2015, at 5:31 PM, Florent B flo...@coppint.com wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Today I want to make a Continuous Data Protection Plan for my Galera
>> cluster.
>>
>> I would like to be able to restore data at every "T" time in the last
>> day/week/month (whatever).
>>
>> I do a daily backup of data using Xtrabackup.
>>
>> And now, I would like to have a plan to backup the binlog.
>>
>> In fact, "mysqlbinlog" tools does what I want
>> (--read-from-remote-server, --raw and --stop-never option), but this
>> functionality is only available in mysqlbinlog 3.4, in MySQL Server 5.6.
>> And of course, this version refuses to talk with MariaDB 10.0.X servers.
>>
>> mysqlbinlog provided with MariaDB does not seem to do this.
> https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-5993

Thank you Daniel.

>> Do you have an idea, or, how to you do this ?
> Set up a standard async slave from the galera cluster. Make sure you have log-slave-updates on the node you are replicating from.
> Use engine=blackhole on tables and default_storage_engine=blackhole (if you need space and don't want to pull the xtrabackup from this slave).

How can I set engine=blackhole on the slave node for existing tables
(InnoDB ones). Is default_storage_engine=blackhole enough ?