InnoDB: Unsupported redo log format.

MrMoronIV

Feb 7, 2018, 3:41:17 AM2/7/18
to codership
Posted this on the percona forums, but no response as of yet... Does somebody here knows what is going on?

I'm trying to use xtrabackup-v2 in a galera cluster, this is what innobackup.backup.log gives me when a peer tries to join. The host is just an new mariaDB server with only an extra user to give xtrabackup access, no extra databases / data whatsoever:

180206 20:26:40 innobackupex: Starting the backup operation

IMPORTANT: Please check that the backup run completes successfully.
At the end of a successful backup run innobackupex
prints "completed OK!".

180206 20:26:40 Connecting to MySQL server host: localhost, user: xtrabackup, password: set, port: not set, socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Using server version 10.3.4-MariaDB
innobackupex version 2.4.9 based on MySQL server 5.7.13 Linux (x86_64) (revision id: a467167cdd4)
xtrabackup: uses posix_fadvise().
xtrabackup: cd to /var/lib/mysql/
xtrabackup: open files limit requested 0, set to 16364
xtrabackup: using the following InnoDB configuration:
xtrabackup: innodb_data_home_dir = .
xtrabackup: innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:12M:autoextend
xtrabackup: innodb_log_group_home_dir = ./
xtrabackup: innodb_log_files_in_group = 2
xtrabackup: innodb_log_file_size = 209715200
InnoDB: Number of pools: 1
InnoDB: Unsupported redo log format. The redo log was created with MariaDB 10.3.4. Please follow the instructions at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/...wngrading.html

Since everything is a clean install (both donor and joiner), I have no clue what is going on, the mariadb server on the joiner doesn't start, I almost started thinking that the packages I use are too new?

I've seen the rsync method work in this setup, it's just when I try to switch to xtrabackup-v2 that it is giving me a non working setup.

Paul Namuag

Oct 16, 2018, 2:06:25 AM10/16/18
to codership
This is a known issue already as of MDB's 10.3, it's no longer compatible with PXB's recent (as of this time) 2.4 version. See here https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/percona-xtrabackup/ as it's mentioned
TLDR; XtraBackup is not compatible with MariaDB 10.3 and later.

- Paul

Wagner Bianchi

Oct 16, 2018, 8:42:28 AM10/16/18
to paul...@gmail.com, codership
It's just to add a little bit more information; running MariaDB Cluster 10.3++, you need to configure the wsrep_sst_method as mariabackup and set up the mariadb-backup package. The same way as you did on the past with the xtrabackup-v2, now you have the mariabackup method (it's there since 10.1.23 -> https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mariabackup-overview/). I assume that the whole cluster, all nodes, are MariaDB Server on the same version.
--
Wagner Bianchi, RDBA Team Lead @ MariaDB RDBA Team
MariaDB Corporation | t: +55.31.98654.9510 | Skype: wbianchijr