CoderDojo Tilde Club

Frank Hunleth

Apr 11, 2015, 3:57:37 PM4/11/15
to coder...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've had a couple suggestions about a CoderDojoDC Tilde Club or something similar. If you haven't seen it, http://tilde.club/ is a very simple service where you can log into a cloud server, experiment with a Unix command line, and setup simple web pages. If you used Unix in the early to mid 90s, you'll probably smile when you see it. The clubs are free and encourage people to share their knowledge of Unix. Here's the companion guide for another one called Squiggle City: https://p1k3.com/userland-book/

The problems with using Tilde Club or a similar established service are that signup is complicated for a beginner and not immediate, and some of the content isn't appropriate for all ages. These are easy problems to fix if we set up our own.

With the popularity of the Raspberry Pi, all of the Linux-based Codestarter Chromebooks, and to some extent, the Mac programmers in the group, I think it would be useful to have a lesson on the Unix command line. Teaching how to publish a simple webpage would also be handy for our HTML and Twine programmers. Something like TIlde Club sounds like an easy way to make this happen on a common platform.

I'm wondering if anyone out there would be interested in helping create a simple CoderDojoDC Tilde Club service and sysadmin-ing it when we teach the command line. I have ideas for a start, but would like to work with someone to make it happen. Given our schedule, the lesson couldn't happen until summer so there's some time, but please let me know if you're interested in helping.

Thanks,
Frank