Engineering and computer programming challenges

Frank Hunleth

Feb 19, 2015, 8:14:15 AM2/19/15
to coder...@googlegroups.com
I periodically get asked about coding competitions for kids. While we haven't done them at CoderDojoDC, kids working on these projects are certainly welcome to bring their work to our meetings. It can be fun to work in an environment with others who are also programming, and we always have mentors around if the kids get stuck.

CoderDojoDC member Sabrina Hsu compiled a list of challenges. I thought that many people on the list would be interested as well. This is from her email:

(1)  National STEM Video Game Challenge (Oct-Mar; for grades 5-12).  Submission deadline just extended to 3/30/15  (volunteer mentors info http://www.stemchallenge.org/stem/#/mentors/ )

(2)  Technovation - mobile app challenge for girls ages 10-18...recruiting starts late fall...teams form/began meeting Jan/Feb; submission deadline is 4/23.  Teams can be formed through Regional contact or on own.  I think there is a Technovation Ambassador for MD while VA does not have one.  Students work under the guidance of the volunteer coach, but they need professionals who can support the young students as volunteer mentors...The org. provides training and complete materials to the coaches, mentors, volunteers.  Mentors are asked to commit 1-2 hrs per meeting couple of times per month I think.  This is part of the Iridescent group.  My daughter does Curiosity Machine and that's how I learned about this group. I have interest in volunteering/getting a team started at a title 1 school during the 2015-16 challenge season.

(3) Future Engineers Challenge (sponsored by NASA) - ages 5-12 + ages 13-19
Part 1 (3D Printing in Space Challenge) just ended but the next challenge will be announced in March or April.  Some of our junior kids participated; and the children had to learn how to use Tinkercad and AutoDesk123D to design a space tool. (Interestingly we found that CoderDojo Foundation was also promoting CoderDojo's AutoCad/Tinkercad Challenge tutorial and resource materials at about the time this challenge was going on.

(4) Congressional App Challenge for Students
Was held in 2014; I am not sure whether it will be held again this year.

(5)  There is also a couple of EPA app challenges for students but I seem to not have the links.  When I find I will FW....

(6)  Verizon Innovation App Challenge (grade 6-12; Aug- Nov)  The 2015 winners were recently announced... new challenge should be announced in the summer.  I think there is also a Samsung Challenge (heard via colleague but don't know much about it).

(7)  X Prize MoonBots for kids age 9-17.  Done in conjunction w Google X Prize and the LEGO Education Group.  Challenge incl robot programming...The new challenge is announced around March time and goes through rounds and ends in Aug.