Planning meeting notes

Frank Hunleth

Apr 3, 2015, 8:50:40 AM4/3/15
to coder...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We had a good planning meeting last night. Here's a summary for those who missed it:

  1. Our next meeting is April 12th. Gwen will be giving a short intro into the Blockly programming language and activities. We'll then follow with activity-based tables like usual. The signup will be at http://www.meetup.com/CoderDojoDC/events/216081052/. The info isn't all there yet, but you can still RSVP.
  2. April 26th is Rockville Science Day. All kids are encouraged to demo their projects to the public. The last time we did this at the Silver Spring Maker Faire, the kids had a great time talking about programming and sharing their work. Emails will follow for signing up at different times to space out how many people are at the booth.
  3. We are looking for kid volunteers to give a short talks about programming topics at the beginning of our meetings. I know that the kids are shy, but it works out so well every time we've done it. Melissa (mels...@gmail.com) will be coordinating, so please email her if your child is interested. I'll be sending a blast email on meetup.com about this shortly.
  4. We also talked about awarding "belts". Other CoderDojos do this, but we hadn't figured out how to do this for ours. If you'd like to help with this, please let me know.

Also, for everyone at the IBM Bluemix talks, I received the materials from Hong. You can find them at: https://github.com/CoderDojoDC/bluemix-activity. This also has the program that tabulates results so advanced students can try modifying that as well. The presentations are also on the site if you missed the meeting.

Frank