Raspberry Jam

Frank Hunleth

Feb 11, 2015, 2:37:19 PM2/11/15
to coder...@googlegroups.com
This is not a CoderDojoDC event, but I think that it will be of interested to many on the list. HacDC is hosting a Raspberry Jam and will have talks and demonstrations on everything Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi is a little computer ($35 + accessories that you may have already) for kids and adults.The main purpose is to teach programming and Linux on a computer that is easy to fix or replace if you make a mistake. This is in contrast to the laptops that we use where it can be costly and time consuming if kids accidentally break them. As someone who has broken computers many times while learning how to program things, it is nice to know that I can fix them by just recopying files onto an SDCard from my PC.

Signup for the event is at http://www.meetup.com/hac-dc/events/219990940/. They've listed several kid-friendly demos and it looks like they'll have Minecraft, Scratch and Sonic Pi demos. HacDC is located in St. Stephen's church in Columbia Heights. The church has a small parking lot and there's street parking, but I've only metro'd down.

-Frank