Fwd: Attend a Summer Immersion Program Info Session!

Joshua Westgard

Feb 2, 2017, 8:55:47 AM2/2/17
to CoderDojoDC
FYI -- info session on the Girls Who Code summer programs.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Girls Who Code <summeri...@girlswhocode.com>
Subject: Attend a Summer Immersion Program Info Session!
Date: February 2, 2017 at 08:30:32 EST

You've got questions? We've got answers!
View online version
girls who Code
Feb 02, 2017
You’re invited!
Dear Joshua,
We're hosting a Facebook Live Summer Immersion Program info session on February 9 at 5pmPT/8pmET and we'd love to see you there! Join us to learn more about our programs and get answers to all of your questions.
Students, parents and educators are encouraged to attend the info session.
We can’t wait to see you all there!
Can’t make it to an info session?
Check out some of our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below!

Best,
Girls Who Code
FAQ's

When does the application open and when is it due? Applications are open now! Apply online at girlswhocode.com/sipapply until March 17, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. EST.

Where will programs be held? We will be hosting Summer Immersion Programs in the following cities between June-August. Exact program dates and locations can be found on the application.
Atlanta, GA
Austin, TX
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA
Miami, FL
Newark, NJ
New York City, NY
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Seattle, WA
Stamford, CT
Washington DC

How much does the Summer Immersion Program cost? The Summer Immersion Program is FREE to attend with lunch provided to students each day. We also provide a need-based summer stipend to cover transportation and living costs for students who qualify.

What is a summer stipend? The summer stipend covers transportation and living costs for Summer Immersion Program students who qualify.

Who is eligible to attend the Summer Immersion Program? The Summer Immersion Program is an introductory program for girls who are new to computer science. To apply, you must be a current sophomore or junior in high school and be able to spend all 7 weeks with us. The program is 100% FREE and we also provide need-based summer stipend to cover transportation and living costs. Girls Who Code serves all girls, especially those who:
    • Are current high school sophomores and juniors
    • Are underrepresented in computer science and technology fields in terms of race, creed or background
    • Have little to no access or exposure to computer science education in school
    • Are Free and Reduced Lunch eligible
    • Identify as female regardless of gender assignment at birth or legal recognition
            What does the Summer Immersion Program application process look like? All eligible 10th and 11th grade students can apply to the Summer Immersion Program online. The application consists of one short answer question. Girls Who Code does not ask for GPA, transcript, or any recommendations.

            When are students notified of their acceptance to the Summer Immersion Program? All students will be notified of their acceptance by April 7 via email.

            Will Girls Who Code provide housing for the Summer Immersion Program? No, we don't provide housing. The Summer Immersion Program is a day program and the vast majority of students apply to a location close to where they live.

            I am going to be out of town during the program. Should I still apply? All program participants must be able to commit to attending the entire seven-week program. We hope you’ll choose to spend your summer with us. It’s worth it!

            What will girls learn in the Summer Immersion Program? Each week of the program covers projects related to computer science, such as art, storytelling, robotics, video games, and websites. Through those projects, students learn programming languages including Scratch, Python, C++,  HTML, CSS and Javascript. Students also learn about tech careers from guest speakers, participating in workshops, connecting with female engineers and entrepreneurs, and going on field trips. The program culminates in a final project where students work in teams to build a product based on their interests.

            Are boys eligible to join Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Programs? Our programs are intended for students who identify as female regardless of gender assignment at birth or legal recognition.

            I don’t have any coding experience. Should I still apply? Yes, our program is designed for beginners! All you need is a readiness to learn.

            I am not eligible for SIP. How else can I get involved? You can join a Club in your area! Clubs are FREE after-school programs for 6-12th grade girls to use computer science to impact their community and join our sisterhood of supportive peers and role models. Learn more and find a Club near you at www.girlswhocode.com/Clubs.