Fwd: Attention Girls Who Code Community Partners

Joshua Westgard

Sep 20, 2016, 6:54:25 PM9/20/16
to CoderDojoDC
Dear CoderDojoDC,

Please see below a message from Girls Who Code.  In particular I want to point out the link to information about the Summer Immersion Program for 10th and 11th grade girls, the application window for which will be opening soon.  There is a link to an interest form where you can sign up for their mailing list:

I don't have first hand experience with their programs, but we did have a member of our group participate a few years ago an she reported back favorably.

All best,
Josh

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mikaila Read <mikail...@girlswhocode.com>
Subject: Attention Girls Who Code Community Partners
Date: September 20, 2016 at 2:41:01 PM EDT
To: Mikaila Read <mikail...@girlswhocode.com>
Cc: Clayvi Brown <cla...@girlswhocode.com>

Hi GWC Partners,

Thank you for your commitment to bringing Girls Who Code to your community. With your help this year, Girls Who Code will support 1,500 Clubs across all 50 states and inspire thousands of middle and high school girls to learn to code.

A few quick things to note:
  • Applications for 2016-2017 Girls Who Code Clubs are open, please encourage your networks to apply as soon as possible.
  • If you have schools or community centers that have already submitted an application and are just waiting to be matched with a Facilitator please encourage them to join the (whatever the pilot is called) pilot.
  • We are working to identify a Facilitator in your area. If you have a prospective volunteer willing to lead the Club, please have them apply and we will expedite their process.
  • Your Sponsors can join the Technical Training & Support Pilot Program and learn Core4 Computer Science Concepts allowing them to facilitate their own Club - ask me how to sign up!
  • For current 10th and 11th graders in your network, we are approaching the start of recruitment for our 2017 Summer Immersion Program. Please direct them to our interest form so we may continue supporting the growing interest in computer science and technology across girls in your community.

We look forward to continuing to work with you this school year!

Regards,

Clayvi Brown
Sr. Manager, School and Community Partnerships

Use this sample email to continue spreading the word about your GWC Clubs!
Inline image 1

Good Afternoon!

Girls Who Code is debugging the gender gap in tech by providing FREE computer science education to girls in 6th-12th grade across the United States. We are proud to be partners in this movement and would love for you to host a Club at your school to support our female coders. Spread the word using the Girls Who Code Flyers.

Additionally, Girls Who Code is offering an amazing opportunity to Facilitators that do not have a technical background.  You can join the Technical Training & Support Pilot Program and facilitate your own Club! Girls Who Code has prepared a training on the Core4 Computer Science Concepts taught in Clubs exclusively for our pilot participants to prepare you to lead your Club members through the activities in the curriculum. This pilot will allow us to learn new technical computing skills.

  • Computers and internet connection for each Club student
  • Space to host the Club
  • A Faculty member who will be responsible for leading the Club and communicating with Girls Who Code.

To join the technical training pilot:
  • You’ll receive a "Failed the Technical Assessment" email, but don’t worry! As long as you’ve completed the form above, you’ll be approved!
  • You will receive information for starting your Club within a week.

When completing the application, please indicate your affiliation with us under "Insert partner’s name". If you have any questions during the application process, please reach out to cl...@girlswhocode.com.