Planning meeting tonight at 9 PM

Frank Hunleth

Oct 1, 2015, 10:30:51 AM10/1/15
to CoderDojoDC
It's that time again. We'll have a planning meeting tonight to discuss our next few meetings and go over a few organization updates. Please join us if you're interested in helping out or mentoring. We meet using Google Hangouts. If you go to http://coderdojodc.com/hangout/ at 9 PM tonight, it should connect you to our group video call.

One general note: I met one of the founders of teachingkidsprogramming.org last week who gave a compelling case for teaching Java to 10 year olds and up. He and many others posted Java lesson plans to their website, and I also learned about a really neat "Internet of Things" project that they did with their students. If anyone is interested in helping bring any of this material to our group, please let us know.

See many of you tonight!

Frank

Frank Hunleth

Oct 2, 2015, 9:38:48 AM10/2/15
to CoderDojoDC
Well, just after I sent out the email about Teaching Kids Programming, the site got hacked, so don't click on the link in the previous email. (I'm choosing to believe that no one in our group did this...) If you're interested in the Java lessons, go to this link instead: https://www.penflip.com/lynnlangit/tkp-lesson-plans.

We had a good meeting last night. I haven't updated meetup.com yet, but here's what's coming up:
  1. October 11th we'll have a special Twine event for those who are interested. Time permitting, we'll also have a quick interactive presentation on CPU's, GPU's and Quantum computers.
  2. On October 25th, Dexter Labs will be coming over with some GoPiGo's.
  3. On November 8, we'll have Little Bits. This is the NASA-themed Little Bits meeting that was cancelled several weeks ago. Luckily, we were able to reschedule Ginger Baker for then.

As a quick reminder, if you're kids have projects that they'd like to share with the group, please let us know. We'd like to add them to our project showcase web pages.

Frank