Vote on the Next Coderdojo Activities

Melissa Ford

Feb 13, 2015, 9:37:40 AM2/13/15
to coderdojodc
Hey everyone--

This upcoming meeting is a Twine meeting.  I'm going to be doing a quick overview for new Twiners (and if you're new, you may want to go to twinery.org and download 1.4.2 -- NOT 2.0 -- before the meeting) and Chris Klimas, the creator of Twine, will be there.  For old time Twiners, we can do something new such as adding Javascript or changing the look with CSS.

You may want to see Twine in action before the meeting, and that brings us to the next point -- voting on next activities.

Sorting Hat (http://www.sortingh.at/) is a "game" made with Twine.  But the best part is that the creator (Zoe) outlined the tools kids needs to learn to make dozens of kinds of games.  Want to make a 2-D game?  An interactive fiction game?  An RPG?  Zoe has created what amounts to a flowchart to take you through what you need to learn in order to create a certain type of game.

So your homework before the next meeting:
  • Play Sorting Hat (http://www.sortingh.at/)
  • Choose a type of game you want to learn.
  • Look at the options she included and see what you need to learn vs. already know.
  • Come to the meeting with your top three choices of programming languages or software you would like to learn over the next few months of Coderdojo.

We'll collect up all the votes and try to structure upcoming meetings to get kids started on the games/websites/etc they want to make.

No worries -- we can play Sorting Hat every few months and choose anew.

Plus, Sorting Hat doubles as an intro to Twine so you can see how Twine works before you get into the next meeting if you're not already familiar with it.  Win-win!

Thanks everyone,

Mel