Fwd: The Community Partner Newsletter | March

1 view

Joshua Westgard

Mar 15, 2017, 4:12:59 PM3/15/17
to CoderDojoDC
More from the Girls Who Code program.  Lots of cool info in there!  // Josh

Begin forwarded message:

From: Clayvi from Girls Who Code <cl...@girlswhocode.com>
Subject: The Community Partner Newsletter | March
Date: March 15, 2017 at 3:34:20 PM EDT

Your insight into March @ Girls Who Code
View online version
girls who Code
March 2017
Community Partner Newsletter

Women’s History Month + Girls Who Code turns 5!

It’s Women’s History Month and Girls Who Code is celebrating 5 years of teaching girls around the country computer science and spreading the sisterhood.

Here are 3 women in tech who keep us inspired:

Léonie Watson
Léonie Watson is a Senior Accessibility Engineer with The Paciello Group. She began using the internet in 1993, turned it into a web design career in 1997, and (despite losing her eyesight along the way) has been enjoying herself thoroughly ever since.
Learn about Léonie
Bozoma St. John
"One of my favorite quotes right now is ‘Always be yourself, unless you can be a unicorn. And then always be a unicorn.” - Bozoma St. John, a marketing executive Apple Music.
Learn about Bozoma
Dorothy Johnson Vaughan
Dorothy Johnson Vaughan (September 20, 1910 – November 10, 2008), was a mathematician and Human Computer who worked for the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) & NASA. She was the first acting supervisor of the West Area Computers, the first African-American woman to supervise a staff at the center. Dorothy was one of the characters in the “Hidden Figures” movie released earlier this year!
Learn about Dorothy
This Month's Highlights:
  • Club Sponsor and Facilitator applications are now closed. Thank you for bringing a Girls Who Code Club to your community this year! We’re working on revamping the application. Clubs will be able to renew and start a new Club for Fall 2017 in April so stay tuned!
  • The Summer Immersion Program application closes this Friday, March 17 for current 10th & 11th grade girls. Encourage your community to apply today!
  • Check out this month’s Community Spotlight below! Interested in being next month’s Spotlight? Let us know by emailing communi...@girlswhocode.com
  • The Clubs Fund application is now live! This is a new funding initiative to support engagement opportunities for Clubs. Club Sponsors and Facilitators who fill out the Pre-Survey and submit student enrollment forms should have received an email with their customized link to apply. Deadline to apply is March 22. Check out the FAQs.
  • GWC in the News: Check out our press coverage from our Female Governor’s Summit in WaPo, Fortune and Engadget! Reshma’s op ed on the immigration ban was picked up by CNBC, Fortune’s MPW, Broadsheet newsletter and VentureBeat and her op ed on Yale’s decision to rename Calhoun College for Grace Hopper went live on CNN.com. Reshma + Code.org’s Hadi Partovi sat down for a podcast interview with Kara Swisher and Lauren Goode on Re/Code’s Too Embarrassed to Ask. Leah Gilliam’s interview with Forbes’ podcast, The Limit Does Not Exist went up this month, and check out this profile on our VP of Programs, Tarika Barrett in The Clyde Fitch Report. #ICYMI, GWC Intuit SIP alumswin Verizon’s Best in Nation challenge for their app, Soteria! Clubs featured in Kansas City, MO, Livermore, CA, and Illinois. Want to read the latest profiles of our girls? Check out ImaGirlWhoCodes!
  • We’re making a documentary about one of our Clubs in Carroll County, Ohio.☟Here’s a sneak peek photo! ☟
Reminders
  • Club Sponsor and Facilitator applications are now closed. Thank you for bringing a Girls Who Code Club to your community this year! We’re working on revamping the application. Clubs will be able to renew and start a new Club for Fall 2017 in April so stay tuned!
  • Two more days until the Summer Immersion Program (SIP) application closes on March 17, 2017! Encourage your current 10th & 11th grade girls in our SIP cities to get their start in tech and apply at girlswhocode.com/SIPapply.
  • We want to share your story - do you have exciting news about the girls in your Club? Share it with us at communi...@girlswhocode.com and we’ll feature you in the next newsletter and on our blog.
Upcoming Events

Take a look at these upcoming events and encourage your students and community to apply!
  • NASA's International Space Apps Challenge is a 48-hour hackathon that brings together coders, designers, scientists, makers, technologists, and storytellers from around the world to address challenges we face on Earth and in space. The event occurs simultaneously in locations around the world, and virtually.There is no cost to participate!

    This year, the event is taking place on April 29th-30th, 2017. Our challenges range in difficulty and complexity and people of all ages and all levels of expertise are welcome! Get inspired by examples of last year's challenges
    . Learn more and encourage participation in your community!
  • Get funds for your Club with the new Clubs Fund! Want to plan an amazing opportunity for your Club members such as inviting guest speakers, going on a field trip, events, or workshops? Want to purchase snacks and additional materials for your Club?

    Girls Who Code just launched a new funding initiative so eligible Clubs can apply for a $300 grant to support engagement opportunities for Club girls.

    How is a Club eligible to apply for the Clubs Fund? If your Club has completed a pre-launch questionnaire and enrollment forms, you are eligible to apply. Check out our FAQs to learn more and contact cl...@girlswhocode.com with additional questions
Community Spotlight
Ragini Maheshwari
Tell us about yourself. Trailside Middle School is located in Ashburn, VA and we host an after-school GWC Club for 26 students in 6th-8th grade. Terri Colbert and Ragini Maheshwari are the teacher sponsors along with 3 Corporate Facilitators- Jonathan Colbert- NASA, Lucy Graham- Booz Allen and Subhash Sharma- 3DSI.

What is your proudest moment as a Club sponsor? As Club Leaders, we’ve had many proud moments in our Club. One is just seeing my coders excited and passionate about learning and coming to every meeting on Friday evenings. Seeing them bonding with each other, building their own websites for the first time, coding their own music in Earsketch, coming up with creative solutions in Python, and continuing to work on their projects even outside of the Club hours.

Another proud moment was when several of our GWC members enthusiastically volunteered to help with creating an after-school Scratch Club for other students who couldn’t attend the GWC Friday meetings and began planning out the lessons. It was a moment where our Club members were paying it forward by teaching what they’ve learned to other students in their community.

What advice would you give to a new Club leader? Our advice to anyone starting this club is, it is super awesome! Middle school is the best time to encourage girls to take computer science and the various careers it can offer in the future. The curriculum is flexible for students with zero experience to more advanced computer science learners. It teaches them the Core4 computer science concepts in a fun way through designing games, storytelling, or creating music. We definitely need to close the gender gap in technology and this digital age needs more computer scientists and engineers.

We are also very thankful to our Principal, Bridget Beichler, for her support and encouragement and the Loudoun County Public School technology team for installing all the necessary softwares. We have 3 wonderful Facilitators and their support is unmeasurable. We are also very fortunate to have guest speakers from VISA and Janelia Research Lab come speak with our students about their careers in technology. Our parents are also extremely supportive of their kids’ learning . With the help of everyone, we’ve seen a huge success in first year of our GWC Club and looking forward to next year.
Spread the Word

Summer Immersion Program applications close this Friday!
The Summer Immersion Program (SIP) is a FREE, 7-week summer program for current 10th and 11th grade girls to learn computer science, get exposure to tech jobs and join a supportive sisterhood of thousands of girls across the U.S. We also provide a need-based summer stipend to cover transportation and living costs for students who qualify.
Summer Immersion Programs locations:
Seattle
Bay Area
Los Angeles
Chicago
Austin
Atlanta
Boston
DC
Miami
Newark
New York City
Stamford

If you are in a SIP location, encourage your students to attend an Info Sessionand apply! Have questions? See this Summer Immersion Program flyer with FAQs and help us spread the word! The application closes on this Friday, March 17, 2017.
Resources
  • Visit our branding page with videos, flyers, photos, and logos you can download!
  • Want more information about the Clubs Fund? Check out the new FAQ page.
You are currently subscribed to receive our Monthly Community newsletters. If you wish to unsubscribe, please click here.