Rockville Science Day

Joshua Westgard

Apr 18, 2015, 3:54:28 PM4/18/15
to coderdojodc
Sorry for the duplication, but because of the way Meetup shortens our announcement messages, we wanted to take some extra steps to get the word out about next week’s meeting.  Instead of our usual club activity, we will be running a table at Rockville Science Day.  This is a great way for the kids to show other tell other kids about the club and to demo some of what they’ve learned in our group.  Please sign up for a time here:

Full details are pasted below.  See you next week!

Josh

-----

Join us at Rockville Science Day!

Sunday, April 26, 2015
12:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Montgomery College
51 Mannakee St., Rockville, MD (edit map)

Rockville Science Day is a great community oriented event bringing together many Washington, DC area science and tech organizations. We'll be there too!

Many kids and teens in the group had such a great experience last year when we exhibited at Maker Faire that we wanted to do it again. For those who missed out, all of us took turns running the booth, showing others our projects, and teaching people how to write their name in binary. (UTF-8 for the techies) Helping run a booth is quite a different experience than just walking around a conference, and it's amazing to watch our youth get excited when they teach someone about their project or about binary code.

We're hoping that you can join us for part of your time at Rockville Science Day. To spread everyone out over the event, we have a separate signup sheet. Please add yourself to a time slot or two. Don't worry if you're the only one on a time slot. A few of us will be around to make sure that everyone is comfortable at the booth.

If you're able, please bring a laptop and programming project to share. It can be anything. Many people haven't heard of Scratch, Twine, Blockly, Arduinos, and modding Minecraft and would love to hear about what can be done. We'll also teach the binary coding project when you arrive at the booth so that you can share it with others. It's also a good ice breaker for people coming to the booth.

Spread the word! This is really a great event, and we're lucky to have the Rockville Science Center around here to organize it every year.

Getting there

Rockville Science Day is held at Montgomery College in Rockville. See this page for directions to the campus. In past years, it has been pretty obvious where to go once you park - just follow people. Please allow time to park in case the parking lots overflow.

Below is a map of the campus. We will be in the large gym in the Physical Education Center. A larger map is here.