Thinking Outside the Box, so to speak... - Re: [CoderDojoDC] Engineering and computer programming challenges

Sabrina Hsu

Feb 19, 2015, 1:50:26 PM2/19/15
to Frank Hunleth, coderdojodc
Hi there.

I also want to add that there are many science/social science/fine arts or even your daily, every day life challenges out there that you can find to do if you just look around; and that employing computer programming can be part of the method to your design and problem solving process.

For example, in dance, you have creative folks like Miral Kalb who is an software engineer/professional dancer who runs iLuminate Dance where code and dance intersect.  Or fashion designers and crafters who are programming fashionable wearable pieces for people as well as homes and changing the future of fashion and arts and crafting. Computers are everywhere and computer programming does not need to be thought of as a separated learning function....

I also just want to add one more thing -- Smithsonian Invent It  Challenge for kids, ages 5-19.  While the challenge at first glance looks to be all about engineering and making or inventing some new physical thing, one of the last year invention challenge winners was a couple of 11 year old kids from Fairfax VA who used MIT App Inventor to come up with an app to help track their school buses in real time (so you won't miss your bus).

So if you're looking for a project, just look around your environment.  Observe and find something you might want to try out with programming.  Or identify a problem you know of that you might want to tackle using computer programming.  Go talk to mentors about your ideas.  Be curious and be open to trying out new things.  Or mash up things you just saw or found or like and try putting your programming spins to them.  And probably and mostly, just have fun while learning and doing ;)

Thanks,
Sabrina

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Frank Hunleth <fr...@hunleth.com> wrote:
I periodically get asked about coding competitions for kids. While we haven't done them at CoderDojoDC, kids working on these projects are certainly welcome to bring their work to our meetings. It can be fun to work in an environment with others who are also programming, and we always have mentors around if the kids get stuck.

CoderDojoDC member Sabrina Hsu compiled a list of challenges. I thought that many people on the list would be interested as well. This is from her email:

(1)  National STEM Video Game Challenge (Oct-Mar; for grades 5-12).  Submission deadline just extended to 3/30/15  (volunteer mentors info http://www.stemchallenge.org/stem/#/mentors/ )

(2)  Technovation - mobile app challenge for girls ages 10-18...recruiting starts late fall...teams form/began meeting Jan/Feb; submission deadline is 4/23.  Teams can be formed through Regional contact or on own.  I think there is a Technovation Ambassador for MD while VA does not have one.  Students work under the guidance of the volunteer coach, but they need professionals who can support the young students as volunteer mentors...The org. provides training and complete materials to the coaches, mentors, volunteers.  Mentors are asked to commit 1-2 hrs per meeting couple of times per month I think.  This is part of the Iridescent group.  My daughter does Curiosity Machine and that's how I learned about this group. I have interest in volunteering/getting a team started at a title 1 school during the 2015-16 challenge season.

(3) Future Engineers Challenge (sponsored by NASA) - ages 5-12 + ages 13-19
Part 1 (3D Printing in Space Challenge) just ended but the next challenge will be announced in March or April.  Some of our junior kids participated; and the children had to learn how to use Tinkercad and AutoDesk123D to design a space tool. (Interestingly we found that CoderDojo Foundation was also promoting CoderDojo's AutoCad/Tinkercad Challenge tutorial and resource materials at about the time this challenge was going on.

(4) Congressional App Challenge for Students
Was held in 2014; I am not sure whether it will be held again this year.

(5)  There is also a couple of EPA app challenges for students but I seem to not have the links.  When I find I will FW....

(6)  Verizon Innovation App Challenge (grade 6-12; Aug- Nov)  The 2015 winners were recently announced... new challenge should be announced in the summer.  I think there is also a Samsung Challenge (heard via colleague but don't know much about it).

(7)  X Prize MoonBots for kids age 9-17.  Done in conjunction w Google X Prize and the LEGO Education Group.  Challenge incl robot programming...The new challenge is announced around March time and goes through rounds and ends in Aug.

--
@CoderDojoDC
http://coderdojodc.com

Swarnam Anand

Feb 20, 2015, 2:25:58 PM2/20/15
to coder...@googlegroups.com, fr...@hunleth.com
Thank you Frank and Sabrina. We have registered to participate in Technovation challenge 2015, I signed up as coach, I just noticed your message , I wanted to request to see if any of you would be willing to review our teams work and provide us comments and some level of guidance, we have 3 girls in our team, Please let me know.

thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Swarnam

Joshua Westgard

Feb 21, 2015, 9:30:21 AM2/21/15
to coder...@googlegroups.com, fr...@hunleth.com
Hi Swarnam,

Your team would be welcome to attend CoderDojo meetings, bringing their project and questions, in order to get feedback and help from the mentors who are qualified in the technologies that they are using.  We strive to make this a project-based club where the kids are free to follow their own interests, and working on the Technovation challenge seems to fit right in with that.

All best,
Josh

Swarnam Anand

Feb 21, 2015, 10:02:16 AM2/21/15
to coder...@googlegroups.com, fr...@hunleth.com
Thank you very much Joshua, That will be very helpful. I will discuss with the team this weekend and keep you and Frank informed when we are ready to attend the meeting and send some our work so you can help us.

Regards,
Swarnam