D&D 5e Noob Night

JoshReedSchramm

Dec 31, 2014, 4:16:13 PM12/31/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Thought I would gauge interest in a D&D 5e noobies game. Or really D&D in general.

I'm debating trying to draw up a quick 2-3 hour scenario that could be played by 4-5 people + DM but it's quite a bit of work to put that all together so wanted to see if anyone would be interested first. We'd go with premade characters to speed things up. If i DMed I'd be a noob too as it would be my first shot at running an adventure. Fair warning :-)

Any interest?

Brandon Wilson

Dec 31, 2014, 4:19:31 PM12/31/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I would be a super noob, but I am willing to try it. I have always wanted to play but never new anyone to play with so no interest.

Robert Casto

Dec 31, 2014, 4:32:00 PM12/31/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested late Thursday. Was quite fun when I did it the last time.
--
Robert Casto
Owner | SellersToolbox

bprince

Jan 1, 2015, 12:51:51 PM1/1/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
There should be plenty of room in the gamer room to play. Let us know, and we can make sure the tales work for you.

I miss D&D v5. I haven't played in months becuase of work travel and CodeMash planning. My weekly group just assumes I was excommunicated by the DM.

Andrew Benz

Jan 2, 2015, 9:14:44 AM1/2/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in some D&D on Thursday!

Cassandra

Jan 2, 2015, 4:16:06 PM1/2/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'd be up for playing Wednesday night.

JoshReedSchramm

Jan 3, 2015, 2:26:43 PM1/3/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Cool, it looks like there's enough interest and I've heard from a few others offline. I'll try and put together a short adventure. Not sure of the schedule yet but I'll update once I know more.

Shelley Storch

Jan 3, 2015, 6:24:32 PM1/3/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to play
Shelley R. Storch
Senior Programmer Analyst
TravelCenters of America
(O) (440)-808-4487
SSt...@ta-petro.com
"Making TA the Highway Travelers' Choice!"

code...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/codemash.
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

ern...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2015, 8:09:16 PM1/3/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
What would be required to do this? I haven't played since high school, but have an interest...

JoshReedSchramm

Jan 4, 2015, 1:44:18 AM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
My hope is you won't need anything but a general interest in role playing. I'm working on getting enough dice for everyone and I'll bring character sheets and anything else we might need.

Robert Casto

Jan 4, 2015, 2:16:18 AM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
How about a dice app? There's an app for everything, right?  :)

Shelley Storch

Jan 4, 2015, 7:55:55 AM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I have my own dice.

There is a great place in Wellington, Ohio that has role playing games including D&D dice. I picked up a set the last time my daughter and I stopped by.

From:        Robert Casto <casto....@gmail.com>
To:        "code...@googlegroups.com" <code...@googlegroups.com>,
Date:        01/04/2015 02:16 AM
Subject:        Re: [CodeMash] Re: D&D 5e Noob Night
Sent by:        code...@googlegroups.com

Jonathan Danylko

Jan 4, 2015, 9:41:37 AM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I may have to get in on this. Count me in. I have my own dice as well...and yeah, it's been a while since I played for me. ;-)

Brian, I haven't played the 5th edition, but would it be good to have a pre-req character already rolled up for you to examine? I think there are some character sheets we can print out. <big grin>

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets

JD

Andrew Benz

Jan 4, 2015, 5:49:47 PM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I brought my dice as well. I haven't played in awhile and have never played 5e, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm open yo playing any character type, as well.

John Todd

Jan 4, 2015, 7:37:04 PM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
If the game isn't full, I'd be interested in playing. Any night. I can bring my own dice.

Thanks!
John

JoshReedSchramm

Jan 5, 2015, 10:50:26 PM1/5/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I might be able to put together 2 groups. A friend here has DM experience so Id just need to make copies of everything.

As for characters, my plan is to have a bunch of premade options. Not the most exciting thing since rolling your own is the best but the last time I was in a group that did character creation it took a couple hours by itself. Given the time constraints I think premades are probably best.

So I'm thinking Thursday night at the moment if people are ok with that, in the game room.

MikeG

Jan 5, 2015, 11:21:57 PM1/5/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'd play if there is room.

Asa Benjamin Winkler

Jan 5, 2015, 11:28:47 PM1/5/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I’m up for this too if there’s still room.  Not a n00b, though, so will get in line behind anyone who hasn’t played before.

Brandon Wilson

Jan 5, 2015, 11:57:17 PM1/5/15
to code...@googlegroups.com

If I want to play do I need to bring anything?

jtod...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2015, 6:20:52 AM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Josh,

Sounds good! Thanks for putting this together.

John

JoshReedSchramm

Jan 6, 2015, 8:22:51 AM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Lots of interest so far. I roped in another DM so we'll have 2 tables.

I'd like to kick things off at 7:30 on thursday and run till 10. Personally i don't want to miss the waterpark party so hopefully 2.5 hrs is good. At 7:30 we'll do a general overview of the game and rules and then jump into the adventure. If you've played before and show up a little late that's cool, although you might not get the first pick of characters.

Anyone who has dice, rules books, those would be helpful. I have everything else (i hope). I only have 3 sets of dice so we'll be sharing (or people can download an app). The rules books will be helpful but given the time constraints if we don't know the answer to a rule I might just choose to go a direction so we can keep things going so they aren't that important.

Tomorrow I'll go through the posts here and put up a list of who I think is coming to join us just so I have a rough count. If you end up not making it, no big deal. There's a lot of awesome stuff going on.

Looking forward to it everyone.

Shelley Storch

Jan 6, 2015, 12:16:51 PM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Cool Thursday Night would be good!

JoshReedSchramm

Jan 6, 2015, 6:32:10 PM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Ok everyone here's the list I have so far. There's a couple maybes on here so if your a maybe and see this let me know.

Brandon Wilson
Robert Casto
Andrew Benz
Cassandra (Maybe - you mentioned wed but were going to run it thursday, you're welcome to still join if that's ok)
Shelly Storch
Kira
JD (jdanylko)
John Todd
Mike G
Benjamin Winkler
+ 3 people who mentioned this offline

Finally Brian Prince kindly posted about the game room but I think he should play too. Being the fearless leader of this whole codemash thing might make that tricky though.

We'll run 2 games. I'll DM one and Mike Burkle will DM the other. The adventure is written for teams of 4-5 but i can scale up to 6 if need be. Right now we have a couple too many but we'll go with it because things come up and someone might not be able to make it last minute. That said if anyone else is interested don't hesitate to let me know. I may be able to find a 3rd DM if need be.

As to schedule and format.

I'd like to start at 7:30 and do a 20min intro to D&D. For those of you who have played before this will be a bit basic but it lays the ground rules of the game in general for the new people and a few mods to the normal rules I'm suggesting given the time constraints.

We'll then split into parties and play. my goal is for this to be about 2.5 hr or slightly less. I've never run this adventure though so hopefully I time everything well. I'm going to try and err on the side of too short so people can enjoy the attendee and waterpark parties too.

jkw...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2015, 7:06:56 PM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Will this be in the Salon game rooms in the conference center?

JoshReedSchramm

Jan 6, 2015, 7:30:31 PM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
That's the plan though sometimes it's super busy in there. If it is hopefully we can locate an alternate location.

jtod...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2015, 7:50:08 PM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great, looking forward to it!

John

Sent from my iPhone

MikeG

Jan 7, 2015, 8:53:33 AM1/7/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks! If there are enough new players I will sit out. I play DnD regularly anyway. I will show up and gauge it then.

What room?

Brandon Wilson

Jan 7, 2015, 8:56:22 AM1/7/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Kind of exited to start playing, first time ever!

Asa Benjamin Winkler

Jan 7, 2015, 10:22:10 AM1/7/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Likewise, though also happy to be a "ringer" to help out a party of new players.

kyurthich

Jan 7, 2015, 10:34:22 AM1/7/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I might swing in if nothing else seems interesting before the waterpark party.

I am currently dm'ing HotDQ, so I can help people out as well.
I am not super well versed at 5th edition yet, but I will bring my DM guide and PHB, just in case I do stop by.

Tim Rayburn

Jan 7, 2015, 10:52:24 AM1/7/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Josh,

if you need another GM I have plenty of 5e experience, and would be happy to run another table. If you have the adventure written up feel free to send along ahead of time.

also if you can sign up my wIfe Kate to play that would be great.

Tim Rayburn
VP of Consulting / Improving Enterprises / Tim.R...@ImprovingEnterprises.com
Formerly DM Tim of Radio Free Hommlet podcast

Christopher Sauer

Jan 7, 2015, 12:22:56 PM1/7/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to join!  I'll show up Thursday night and play if there's room for me.

Unfortunately, I left my dice at home... whoops.

See you there, Thursday, 7:30!
--
Christopher

kyurthich

Jan 7, 2015, 1:57:23 PM1/7/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I am SURE there will be plenty of dice. :D

JoshReedSchramm

Jan 7, 2015, 3:38:25 PM1/7/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Tim - I'm going to email you shortly. I think I need another DM :-)

All - if anyone randomly brought a chess set, checkers, or any sort of board game with markers with you it might be helpful. We can work around it but it looks like we'll have 3 groups so im short on minis.

Jim Lawrence

Jan 7, 2015, 3:59:31 PM1/7/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to join as well. I have a bit of experience with prior editions of D&D.

kyurthich

Jan 7, 2015, 4:03:40 PM1/7/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Damn if I knew you needed markers I would have got my stash of bottle caps that I use!

Brandon Wilson

Jan 8, 2015, 11:16:47 AM1/8/15
to code...@googlegroups.com

Hey guys, sorry I can't make it, the family wants to go to the water park and I forgot about the 3d printing session at the same time.

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015, 4:32 PM Jim Lawrence <jim.jiml...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd like to join as well.  I have a bit of experience with prior editions of D&D.

Cassandra Faris

Jan 8, 2015, 6:21:02 PM1/8/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys. I'm not going to make it to D&D tonight. Have fun!

Cassandra

Shelley Storch

Jim Lawrence

Jan 9, 2015, 8:33:23 AM1/9/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the game, I'm glad I got to try 5th Edition.

JoshReedSchramm

Jan 9, 2015, 12:20:27 PM1/9/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for coming out. I had a great time.