Interested in craft beer tasting get-together?

jkw...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2014, 10:28:12 AM10/14/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
As a self-professed "beer snob", I am always on the lookout to try new and interesting styles. Last year, I happened to run into a few other CodeMash "beer snobs" just outside Longnecks near the Kalahari convention area and an impromptu tasting / discussion broke out which was quite enjoyable.

If you consider yourself a "beer snob" and are interested in getting together to taste what folks bring along and to discuss our favorite craft beers, please reply on this thread.

Eric Gurney

Oct 14, 2014, 10:29:42 AM10/14/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Beer snob here!

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM, <jkw...@gmail.com> wrote:
As a self-professed "beer snob", I am always on the lookout to try new and interesting styles. Last year, I happened to run into a few other CodeMash "beer snobs" just outside Longnecks near the Kalahari convention area and an impromptu tasting / discussion broke out which was quite enjoyable.

If you consider yourself a "beer snob" and are interested in getting together to taste what folks bring along and to discuss our favorite craft beers, please reply on this thread.

David Stanek

Oct 14, 2014, 10:30:22 AM10/14/14
to code...@googlegroups.com

I'm in.

Kevin Pilch-Bisson

Oct 14, 2014, 10:30:24 AM10/14/14
to jkw...@gmail.com, code...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested, but probably wont check a bag and therefore won't be able to bring anything.
--
Kevin

Oct 14, 2014, 10:44:37 AM10/14/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I have some of this rather tasty Hoppin' Frog aging in my basement that I'll bring along.

Steven Harman

Oct 14, 2014, 10:45:26 AM10/14/14
to jkw...@gmail.com, code...@googlegroups.com
Sounds delightful! I'll try to send a shipper of bottles from the south east up to the venue.

On October 14, 2014 at 10:28:13 AM, jkw...@gmail.com (jkw...@gmail.com) wrote:

As a self-professed "beer snob", I am always on the lookout to try new and interesting styles. Last year, I happened to run into a few other CodeMash "beer snobs" just outside Longnecks near the Kalahari convention area and an impromptu tasting / discussion broke out which was quite enjoyable.

If you consider yourself a "beer snob" and are interested in getting together to taste what folks bring along and to discuss our favorite craft beers, please reply on this thread.

Kevin Pilch-Bisson

Oct 14, 2014, 10:49:21 AM10/14/14
to Steven Harman, jkw...@gmail.com, code...@googlegroups.com
Oh, shipping, that's a good idea.  I will see if I can find some more Deschutes Black Butte XXVI and do that.
--
Kevin

Oct 14, 2014, 10:56:50 AM10/14/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested. I'll see what I can bring.

Sent from Mailbox

Peter Ritchie

Oct 14, 2014, 11:25:14 AM10/14/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'm flying internationally, so I won't be able to bring anything with me.  But, I can either put a bit of cash in or someone's going locally to do a beer run, I can pick some suggestions up.

Otherwise, yes, I'm up for a tasting if it doesn't conflict with my schedule.

Cheers -- Peter

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 07:28:12 -0700
From: jkw...@gmail.com
To: code...@googlegroups.com

As a self-professed "beer snob", I am always on the lookout to try new and interesting styles. Last year, I happened to run into a few other CodeMash "beer snobs" just outside Longnecks near the Kalahari convention area and an impromptu tasting / discussion broke out which was quite enjoyable.

If you consider yourself a "beer snob" and are interested in getting together to taste what folks bring along and to discuss our favorite craft beers, please reply on this thread.

Chris Woodruff

Oct 14, 2014, 12:05:58 PM10/14/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:28:12 AM UTC-4, jkw...@gmail.com wrote:
> As a self-professed "beer snob", I am always on the lookout to try new and interesting styles. Last year, I happened to run into a few other CodeMash "beer snobs" just outside Longnecks near the Kalahari convention area and an impromptu tasting / discussion broke out which was quite enjoyable.
>

> If you consider yourself a "beer snob" and are interested in getting together to taste what folks bring along and to discuss our favorite craft beers, please reply on this thread.

Count me in to bring beer from Beer City USA aka Grand Rapids. Can bring kegs from Founder's, Perrin, New Holland and possibly Bell's for the event. Lots of Michigan breweries so just ask. :-)

Woody

Sridhar Nanjundeswaran

Oct 14, 2014, 1:25:42 PM10/14/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Am in. Not planning on checking anything so I will investigage shipping from California or contribute to somebody who is bringing.

Jeff V

Oct 14, 2014, 2:12:56 PM10/14/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for this, definitely!

I actually home-brew, so I'd love to bring some of my own creations and see what people think!
I plan on bringing a couple bottles each of:
* American Pale
* Maple Bourbon Porter (about 7.5% ABV)
* Vanilla Bourbon Baltic Porter (in secondary now, but should come out 9-9.5% ABV)

If there are any other home brewers out there, it would be awesome to share recipes, equipment details, etc...

-Jeff

jkw...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2014, 2:15:20 PM10/14/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Excellent idea Jeff! I'm getting together with some co-workers in November to brew our own beer at North High Brewing in Columbus. I'll be sure to bring some of that along.

Eric Gurney

Oct 14, 2014, 2:32:05 PM10/14/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
He makes good stuff.  Looking forward to it!

Brad Jones

Oct 14, 2014, 8:53:10 PM10/14/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Anyone coming from Asheville?

Sent from my iPhone

daniel.davis

Oct 15, 2014, 11:24:07 AM10/15/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'm in. I'll bring some of my favorites from the Mitten State.

Julie Cameron

Oct 15, 2014, 11:50:07 AM10/15/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'm in!

James Hatheway

Oct 15, 2014, 12:33:57 PM10/15/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I could bring some beer from the Cayman Islands ( http://caybrew.com/content/6-the-beer ) but I'm not sure it'll impress the beer snobs beyond the source.

The local rum is pretty good though , I could bring a couple bottles to share : http://caymanspirits.com/sevenfathomsrum/

jkw...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2014, 12:39:33 PM10/15/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Rum and craft beer. That could be an rather interesting combination.... :-)

James Hatheway

Oct 15, 2014, 1:23:40 PM10/15/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Cool , I'll try to bring some rum then.

David Michels

Oct 16, 2014, 8:54:08 AM10/16/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I can speak from experience, in the right combination it's *exceptional*: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1432/63210/

This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know by e-mail reply, delete it from your system, and know that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed on the internet.

tom

Oct 16, 2014, 11:24:38 AM10/16/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
This is funny, as I was one of the people in that impromptu beer meeting :)  Some big boys were broken out last year!

I will definitely be bringing some good beer, and probably a keg of some homebrew to serve somewhere in that place as Improving is not having the usual house party this year :\

jkw...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2014, 12:23:07 PM10/16/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
It looks like we have a lot of interest in this which is GREAT!

I created a shared spreadsheet on my Google Drive where folks can indicate what they are bringing and what they would like to taste.  The link is below.  Feel free to add your name and your beers to it.  If anyone has problems with editing this, let me know.

jkw...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2014, 10:00:14 AM10/23/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Just added what I am bringing along to the spreadsheet below. Will probably expand upon this as we get closer.

ern...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2014, 11:43:11 AM12/16/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I just gained approval and got my tickets for the event. I am heading from East TN. I can bring a couple homebrew growlers and have a couple bottles in mind.

jkw...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2014, 9:40:02 AM12/17/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Hello all:

With CodeMash 2015 less than two weeks away, I think it's time to put some logistics around this tasting event.

If you are bringing beer to taste, take a moment and add what you are bringing to:

I took a look at the conference agenda (http://www.codemash.org/event-agenda/) and I think our best nights to have this are Tuesday night or Wednesday night. Thursday night is out because of the water park party that night. I added a column to the spreadsheet (link is above) that allows folks to indicate their preference. If you want to come, please indicate your choice on this spreadsheet.

Regarding the location, I have no problem hosting this in my room at Kalahari. It's a standard room which should be big enough. I would prefer to grab a room in the convention area but I don't know if we can do this. Suggestions?

Jay Wren

Dec 17, 2014, 9:53:52 AM12/17/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Its 3 weeks away on my calendar. Did I miss a date change announcement? :)

jkw...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2014, 9:57:23 AM12/17/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
My bad. I meant to less than 3 weeks away.

Jeff V

Dec 18, 2014, 7:42:02 AM12/18/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the precompiler days this year, so it looks like I won't be able to participate.

-Jeff V.

kyurthich

Dec 19, 2014, 9:30:34 AM12/19/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Wednesday night may work for me. Before the Artemis thing I have at 10:30.

kyurthich

Dec 19, 2014, 9:31:08 AM12/19/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
10 not 10:30. Oops

Carissa Brittain

Dec 19, 2014, 2:40:19 PM12/19/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely interested, but also not checking baggage.

ern...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2014, 2:33:35 PM12/29/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Any updates to the beer get together? Will we have a place, if we are staying off site, to leave our coolers during the day we have our meeting?

jkw...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2014, 2:50:09 PM12/29/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
We are definitely on. To avoid conflicts with other official CodeMash events and based on day preferences saved to the Google spreadsheet I shared, we will be doing this on Wednesday night. Exact time and room location will be posted soon.

Nick Orlando

Dec 29, 2014, 5:26:18 PM12/29/14
to code...@googlegroups.com

I volunteer my Kalahari room's full size refrigerator for anyone who needs to store anything that day.

Promise I won't drink any of your stuff :)

On Dec 29, 2014 2:50 PM, <jkw...@gmail.com> wrote:
We are definitely on. To avoid conflicts with other official CodeMash events and based on day preferences saved to the Google spreadsheet I shared, we will be doing this on Wednesday night. Exact time and room location will be posted soon.

Nathan Dotz

Dec 29, 2014, 8:51:56 PM12/29/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Ditto. We also have a full size fridge room, if anyone wants to chill their stuff out.

Too bad we can't carry these down and take over some tables in the back to watch lightning talks while we sample them.

Kevin Pilch-Bisson

Dec 29, 2014, 9:22:51 PM12/29/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
You could ask the conference organizers, but that sort of thing is often tricky, because it tends to fall under the venue's liquor license.

--
Kevin Pilch-Bisson

Nathan Dotz

Dec 29, 2014, 10:21:08 PM12/29/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Last time I tried, the Kalahari staff told us that we could only bring 1 adult beverage per person in the conference area, I am assuming indeed because of a liquor license issue.

Chris Woodruff

Dec 30, 2014, 9:27:41 AM12/30/14
to code...@googlegroups.com

FYI – I will not be bringing a keg but a cooler full of different West Michigan beers from the likes of Founders, Bell, Odd Side, Perrin, Brewery Vivant, New Holland and others.

See you all next week!!

cid:image005.png@01D01463.F0B49A30

Chris Woodruff aka “Woody”

Woodruff Solutions LLC

Office: 616-425-8824 Mobile: 616-724-6885 | Blog: http://www.chriswoodruff.com

Skype: cwoodruff | Twitter: @cwoodruff | MSN IM: cwoo...@live.com

Visit our podcast: http://deepfriedbytes.com

cid:image003.jpg@01CFFD96.A4AE1EB0    cid:image004.jpg@01CFFD96.A4AE1EB0    cid:image005.jpg@01CFFD96.A4AE1EB0

image001.png
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg

jkw...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2015, 10:41:02 AM1/3/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Hello all:

With CodeMash 2015 just around the corner, let's see if we can get some logistics squared away.

I checked my shared spreadsheet and it looks like Tuesday or Wednesday will be good for most people. So, to avoid going head to head with Wednesday's evening events (see the agenda) and my company's gathering on Wednesday night, let's get together on Tuesday night at 8 PM. I will offer up my room as the gathering spot. It's a Hut style room which should be big enough. If there is enough interest, we can convene again on Wednesday night as well.

Bring along your favorite tasting glassware. I think it is safe to assume that everyone has good beer glassware :-)

Optional: Bring along a snack to share if you choose. Nothing fancy. Thinking bag of chips or pretzels.

Most importantly, bring along the beer you are sharing. My room has a mini fridge in it but I suspect it won't have a lot of space available in it. So, you may want to bring your beer in a cooler.

ern...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2015, 8:10:25 PM1/3/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I just updated my list of beers to bring. Tuesday night is fine with me. I will need a fridge to keep the beers in Tuesday during the day though as I intend to drive to the resort and stay there until we are finished that evening before returning to my hotel.

Nick Orlando

Jan 3, 2015, 10:14:20 PM1/3/15
to code...@googlegroups.com

I noticed the spreadsheet shows we're up to 8 people. I have a Lodge suite. Would that be more convenient than your Hut?

I'll have room in the kitchen fridge for everything- it's full-size, and it will be completely empty.

Nick

jkw...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2015, 7:38:50 AM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nick! Your room will be perfect for this. When you have the room info, post it here so folks know where to go on Tuesday.

Nick Orlando

Jan 4, 2015, 9:51:05 AM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Happy to oblige :)
I'll reach out to everyone on the spreadsheet via email/Twitter DM once I know the room number I will have.

Nick

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 7:38 AM, <jkw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Nick! Your room will be perfect for this. When you have the room info, post it here so folks know where to go on Tuesday.

Kevin Pilch-Bisson

Jan 4, 2015, 10:57:59 AM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Crap. I forgot to ship beer and need to leave for the airport before anything opens tomorrow. I guess I can't bring anything after all. 😢

--
Kevin Pilch-Bisson

Nick Orlando

Jan 4, 2015, 11:06:33 AM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com

Are you flying into CLE?

If you still wanted to bring something (even if it isn't local to you), the Great Lakes Brewing Company in CLE Concourse C sells six packs of most of their brews. You could grab one when your flight lands.

Craig Mauer

Jan 4, 2015, 12:37:56 PM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, I'd like to join in, just added my name to the spreadsheet.

One question - how much beer is enough to bring? A few people had long lists of what they're bringing.

Thanks,
Craig

Jay Wren

Jan 4, 2015, 3:42:24 PM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
mmm… both Nosferatu and Blackout Stout are in season. nom nom nom.

Eric Gurney

Ernie Dunn

Jan 4, 2015, 3:47:45 PM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone had anything from Wicked Weed in Asheville, NC yet? I'm planning on bringing 2.
Ernie

emoji_u1f622.png

jkw...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2015, 3:55:36 PM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I have not had anything from Wicked Weed. Sounds like a great choice to bring along.

Steven Harman

Jan 4, 2015, 7:29:28 PM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I just added a few items to the spreadsheet.

I had planned to ship up some stuff from my cellar - 2011 Burnt Hickory Imperial Stout, 2012 Brooklyn Black Ops, 2011-2013 Founders KBS - but got lazy. In the end, flying with bottles is just too much of a pain, so I'm brining some cans for y'all. See you soon!

Mike Hosinski

Jan 4, 2015, 11:40:20 PM1/4/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'll be bringing a few six-packs of singles from Greenbush in Sawyer, MI. Off the top of my head: Dunegras, Broken Promises, Brother Benjamin, Anger, Yogi Borealis, Demeter, Mr. Hyde, Krampus 1, Vanderbush, Owls in the Roadhouse, and a few more.

jkw...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2015, 6:50:07 AM1/5/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Craig,

There is no minimum with regards to what to bring along and share. Welcome aboard!

Don Miller

Jan 5, 2015, 7:41:07 PM1/5/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I am joining in too guys.  Let me know when you decide on a time.  We have a suite, so I am open to hosting.  More details after I check-in.

Craig - I will be bringing probably 12 cans/bottles.

Thanks,
Don (@donmiller)

jkw...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2015, 9:13:39 PM1/5/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Welcome everyone! It looks like we'll have a very good gathering Tuesday night. We are getting together at 8 pm. Nick has graciously offered up his bigger room with the all important full fridge. He will be posting room details later.

Nick Orlando

Jan 5, 2015, 9:17:39 PM1/5/15
to code...@googlegroups.com

Room 2510. If you want to drop anything off to the fridge, shoot me a tweet @TheSoftwareDev.

I'll be awake and here or in a nearby room til around 11pm tonight!

On Jan 5, 2015 9:13 PM, <jkw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Welcome everyone! It looks like we'll have a very good gathering Tuesday night. We are getting together at 8 pm. Nick has graciously offered up his bigger room with the all important full fridge. He will be posting room details later.

jkw...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2015, 9:32:34 PM1/5/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again Nick!!

Andy Schofield

Jan 5, 2015, 11:44:26 PM1/5/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Just stumbled across this but luckily I came (mostly) prepared. I updated the spreadsheet with my beers but I did not bring appropriate glassware. If anyone can help me out in that area I'd appreciate it.

Jackie Gleason

Jan 6, 2015, 3:52:37 PM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'll come and bring a 22 of a cider I just finished. I will also bring a random 6r of an IPA maybe torpedo or something.

If that is ok I am kind of late to the party.

jkw...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2015, 3:53:38 PM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
No worries. Welcome aboard.

jkw...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2015, 7:00:47 PM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
To make intros / remembering names easier, wear your CodeMash badge tonight.

Ernie Dunn

Jan 6, 2015, 8:03:41 PM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
I will not make it. Had to leave abruptly for a family illness.

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015, <jkw...@gmail.com> wrote:
To make intros / remembering names easier, wear your CodeMash badge tonight.

Ernie

Don Miller

Jan 6, 2015, 9:18:01 PM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Did we decide on a time and place for this?  It better be soon, because we are already drinking some of our brews.  :)

Nick Orlando

Jan 6, 2015, 9:20:37 PM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com

Room 2510, back in 5 minutes.

Chris Woodruff

Jan 6, 2015, 10:22:49 PM1/6/15
to code...@googlegroups.com

Sorry I missed the fun tonight… will have my West Michigan beers with me over the next few nights and hope I can share them with everyone.

Will be coming in tomorrow afternoon

cid:image005.png@01D01463.F0B49A30

Chris Woodruff aka “Woody”

Woodruff Solutions LLC

Office: 616-425-8824 Mobile: 616-724-6885 | Blog: http://www.chriswoodruff.com

Skype: cwoodruff | Twitter: @cwoodruff | MSN IM: cwoo...@live.com

Visit our podcast: http://deepfriedbytes.com

cid:image003.jpg@01CFFD96.A4AE1EB0    cid:image004.jpg@01CFFD96.A4AE1EB0    cid:image005.jpg@01CFFD96.A4AE1EB0

image001.png
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg

Nick Orlando

Jan 8, 2015, 8:42:38 PM1/8/15
to code...@googlegroups.com

There are still have 20+ beers in my fridge leftover from our tasting...

Anyone who wants to reclaim their left-behinds, please let me know on here or Twitter (@TheSoftwareDev)

Otherwise I may be forced to drink all of them.