Somewhat of a strange request. Who is bringing older teenagers with them?

Scott Williams

Jan 4, 2017, 9:31:13 AM1/4/17
to CodeMash
My 16 year old son is accustomed to coming up to the Kalahari during CodeMash over the last several years.  The last few has been my wife bringing him and a friend or two up during the week and them coming home with me.

This year, he is having a difficult time finding friends that are allowed to miss a couple of days of school.  I'm reaching out to the community seeing if there are any similarly aged kids looking for someone to hang around with.  The last few years with him, I've really left him on his own.  Waterpark, arcade, CodeMash game room, those are pretty much what he does from Wednesday night when he gets there till he is finally sick of it and is waiting on me on Friday evening to leave.

He is a pretty shy kid, so doesn't warm up easily to new people, and probably would object to me even posting this, but I'm sure he'd prefer this to not coming this year.  There is still an outside chance he gets someone to come with him, but even then, I'm sure they wouldn't mind extras for the group.

Robert Casto

Jan 4, 2017, 11:51:16 AM1/4/17
to code...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

Doesn't CodeMash require a chaperone with kids under 18?

I want to bring my 12 year old son to experience KidzMash, attend a talk with me if allowed, do the water park, watch the lightning talks Wednesday, etc.

I was told though that unless he had a chaperone, there was no way he could come.

If there is no age limit, then maybe your 16 year old and my 12 year old could team up? My son is kind of shy but smart and calm. Most kids his age are wild. He is nothing like that.

If you think this could be a good idea, and it is not restricted by the organizers, then this could be a good way for them both to attend and have a good time.

Feel free to call me at 513-813-6279 which is my Google Voice number.

Robert Casto

Robert Casto
1-513-813-6279 (google voice)

Robert Casto

Jan 4, 2017, 11:56:32 AM1/4/17
to code...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Scott, I thought I had sent this to you directly. I even copied your email address.

Just checked and wife says no way. I guess I should have checked that angle first.

Robert

Jason Follas

Jan 4, 2017, 12:10:50 PM1/4/17
to code...@googlegroups.com
Kidzmash has a policy about no minors without chaperones. That's an insurance requirement for the conference.

The Kalahari is a public facility, so the conference's chaperone requirements is not enforced while outside of the conference area (i.e., arcade, waterpark, the zoo, hotel, etc). That's a parenting decision, just like if you visited the Kalahari on any other week of the year.

Robert Casto

Jan 4, 2017, 1:02:30 PM1/4/17
to code...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification.

Scott Williams

Jan 4, 2017, 1:05:09 PM1/4/17
to CodeMash
Robert,

First, thanks for the reply.  My son really isn't interested in KidzMash anyhow.  The Waterpark's policy is that no minors under the age of 14 unaccompanied.  I don't know that 16 and 12 would mesh all that well together anyhow.  He still might get a friend to come along, but everyone seems to be all concerned about missing a couple of days of school, where I'm of the opinion that he has the rest of his life to work/go to class, a couple of days here and there don't mean anything, and in fact is probably more important to go and have fun anyhow.

Kenneth LeFebvre

Jan 4, 2017, 4:04:02 PM1/4/17
to code...@googlegroups.com
Scott,

I am bringing a 16-year old, too. He has a 13-year old brother who would probably tag along, but he might appreciate having someone his own age to hang with. He's pretty shy, too, so I can't promise he'd want to do this, but we could arrange to meet up on the first day and see what happens, if you'd like.

Ken

Scott Williams

Jan 4, 2017, 10:16:30 PM1/4/17
to CodeMash

 Ken, I sent you a private reply with some contact information in it in case they would like to try and get in contact before hand.

Scott Williams

Jan 9, 2017, 4:52:01 PM1/9/17
to CodeMash
Any other somewhat disconnected teens that will be around?  It will just be me and my son, and my priority is the conference, so he'll be very available for hanging out, eating pizza, playing 3DS games, and riding water slides.  He doesn't arrive until Wednesday night.  If needed, I'm sure he could bring his Cards Against Humanity game that he got for Christmas and all of the expansions or willing to participate in League of Legends games when the water park is closed.  He also would really like someone to eat breakfast with on Thursday and Friday so he doesn't have to go alone.

Kenneth LeFebvre

Jan 9, 2017, 5:12:35 PM1/9/17
to code...@googlegroups.com
My teens will be eating breakfast at Great Wolf Lodge, but would probably enjoy doing so with other kids if there are any over this way.