Updated KidzMash Info

bprince

Dec 1, 2014, 2:45:38 PM12/1/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Working to finalize the session schedule. In the meantime, check out our updated KidzMash info. http://www.codemash.org/kidzmash/.

Joe Kuemerle

Dec 1, 2014, 2:53:00 PM12/1/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
One quick question for the group: even if there is not an official Lego Mindstorms session are people planning on bringing any? We just bought the EV3 set for our 13 yr old daughter (she has no idea she is getting is and it going to completely spaz on on Christmas morning) and we would love to get together for a meetup, open space or something so we can get up to speed with like minded people.

Thanks!

On 12/1/2014 2:45 PM, bprince wrote:
Working to finalize the session schedule. In the meantime, check out our updated KidzMash info. http://www.codemash.org/kidzmash/.

Campbell, William (Penske)

Dec 1, 2014, 3:13:10 PM12/1/14
to code...@googlegroups.com

Can I please be your child???

What I would have given to have something like this when I was young. Wow!

Bill Campbell

PL.Senior Systems Development Manager

MCP, MCAD, MCSD .NET

Penske Logistics

T +1 216 765-5196

F +1 216 765-5469

M +1 440 413-5773

E william....@penske.com

www.GoPenske.com

Jason Robey

Dec 1, 2014, 3:39:06 PM12/1/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
My 9yo son and I just got an EV3 too and might be able to get together. He will not be there until Friday though.

Jason Robey

B Moore

Dec 1, 2014, 9:33:17 PM12/1/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I have an RPi board/case that runs the sensors and motors. I could bring it along.

Dan Monroe

Dec 1, 2014, 9:57:42 PM12/1/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I've coached FLL (First Lego League from usfirst.org) for 5 years now and have been using EV3s for the last 2.  I can probably answer EV3 (or NXT) programming questions for you.  I'll be there Monday night.

Dan Monroe

Mike Cornell

Dec 2, 2014, 12:43:30 PM12/2/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Just wondering, how many people, like myself, won't be bringing their families due to losing the room phone lottery.  I know I said I'd have 2 kidz attending, but at this point they won't be. It's just not the best option for my family.

I'm curious if the numbers of attendees might be inflated. I hope it's not, but....

Jason Follas

Dec 2, 2014, 1:11:58 PM12/2/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
You can (and should) edit your Eventbrite ticket to update the survey information (which includes # of kids).  Log on to Eventbrite, and then go to "My Tickets" from the menu.

Josh Berke

Dec 4, 2014, 4:31:15 PM12/4/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Joe I'd love to crash your party and learn more about the EV3...Everytime I go into the Lego store I wander over to stare at the box...
Message has been deleted

Anthony Clayton

Dec 9, 2014, 2:59:54 PM12/9/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

I've been thinking about coaching one of those teams (well, starting one).  I would love to chat with you about the process and what works for running a team. Maybe an open space if others are interested.

Anthony

Jason Robey

Dec 9, 2014, 3:08:45 PM12/9/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Same here. Maybe an open space on first Lego league would be good.

Jason

Count me in. I have a table and the MindStorm kit. My son would love it. Just need to know how to find some other kids and get them going so they can do the FLL competitions.

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Jason Robey <jason...@gmail.com> wrote:
Same here. Maybe an open space on first Lego league would be good.

Jason

Dec 9, 2014, 3:18:58 PM12/9/14
to code...@googlegroups.com

I’ve got some kids who might be interested … they’ll be at KidzMash, too: maybe you could do a demonstration or something to the kids in attendance?

Robert Casto

Dec 9, 2014, 3:22:12 PM12/9/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I was adding my +1 to learning how to coach and wanting to learn about the League. I could certainly do research on it, but I don't have experience with it so someone else would probably be much more qualified.

Dan Monroe

Dec 9, 2014, 3:24:34 PM12/9/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I can do an Open Space session of First Lego League and coaching/programming tips.  I can bring some examples of what the kids on my team did for their custom "my blocks" and "master" program.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to bring any of our robots.  We have a Regional tournament the Saturday after CodeMash and don't want to bring anything that may break and jeopardize their tournament.  Would anyone like to bring their EV3 with a color sensor mounted on the front?  If so, I can demonstrate a line following program.

FYI, here is a list of the Ohio FLL tournaments.  Maybe you can find one in your area to visit to see what's it's all about.

Dan Monroe

Robert Casto

Dec 9, 2014, 3:26:02 PM12/9/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I think I have an older version of the robot. I'll have to check what I have.

Dan Monroe

Dec 9, 2014, 3:27:01 PM12/9/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Robert, a NXT will also do, but with a light sensor and not a color sensor.

Robert Casto

Dec 9, 2014, 3:29:34 PM12/9/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
That is what we have. A NXT. I don't know if we have a light sensor. I'll have to check but I'm doubting it if it doesn't come in the kit.

Joe Kuemerle

Dec 10, 2014, 10:23:48 AM12/10/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
We will probably bring our daughter's (brand new from Santa) EV3 kit with us.

Dan Monroe

Dec 10, 2014, 2:01:08 PM12/10/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Excellent Joe!  Are you also bringing your daughter?  I bet she would love to learn how to do the programming.

Joe Kuemerle

Dec 10, 2014, 2:09:39 PM12/10/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Yup. The kids (13yr old daughter & 8 yr old boy) are very excited to be getting pulled out of school and getting to attend KidzMash. Previously, they only came up on Friday night and spent the weekend.

I think the only way I will be able to bring the Mindstorms will be to bring the daughter :)

Dan Monroe

Dec 10, 2014, 3:49:36 PM12/10/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Ok everyone, which day do we want to get together?  I'll be there Monday night through Friday night.  I will be going out for dinner on Wednesday evening at 6:30.  Other than that, I'm open.

Robert Casto

Dec 10, 2014, 4:27:20 PM12/10/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I'm only there for the 2 days of the conference, but am driving there the evening before, and can stay late on Friday.

Joe Kuemerle

Dec 10, 2014, 4:30:21 PM12/10/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
I will be there from Wednesday (late) afternoon through the weekend. There is going to be a KidzMash open space area this year, perhaps an open space on Thursday and an overflow into the evening?

Dan Monroe

Dec 12, 2014, 2:34:39 PM12/12/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Ok, it looks like Thursday then.

Robert Casto

Dec 12, 2014, 2:37:21 PM12/12/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Do we have to get a count to setup a time and place to meet?

bprince

Dec 16, 2014, 3:03:32 PM12/16/14
to code...@googlegroups.com
Check with Kidz...@codemash.org. They can likely setup a room in the KidzMash openspacez area (separate from the attendee open spaces area).

Sunanda

Jan 7, 2015, 5:35:12 PM1/7/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
My 12 year old boys are also interested. What time is this going to be?

Joe Kuemerle

Jan 7, 2015, 5:43:31 PM1/7/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Good question. I know I won't be available until after 2:30 on Thursday. I'll try to put a session up on the Kidzmash open spaces board in the morning.

Jan 9, 2015, 12:22:32 PM1/9/15
to code...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately my daughter got sick so I will not be able to participate in a Mindstorms open space. Anyone else is welcome to start one up.

Josh Berke

Jan 9, 2015, 1:09:56 PM1/9/15
to code...@googlegroups.com

Hope she gets better quick