Hints on Using Google Plugin for Eclipse with Maven

David Chandler

Aug 30, 2010, 3:27:32 PM8/30/10
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
FYI, I've posted an article on the official GWT blog on how to use
Google Plugin for Eclipse with Maven. The article mentions gwt-maven-
plugin. Please comment on the blog if you have questions /
improvements / etc.

http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-use-google-plugin-for-eclipse.html

On behalf of the GWT team, let me express my appreciation here also
for Nicolas, Olivier, and other contributors to gwt-maven-plugin. GWT
is open source, and the participation of the open source community is
a vital part of GWT's success.

/dmc
David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, Google Web Toolkit Team
Atlanta, GA USA

Arthur Kalmenson

Aug 31, 2010, 9:24:51 AM8/31/10
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you David! The extra effort the GWT team is putting in to play
well with Maven is much appreciated.

--
Arthur Kalmenson

JAmes Atwill

Aug 31, 2010, 10:10:04 AM8/31/10
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:27 PM, David Chandler <drfib...@google.com> wrote:
> FYI, I've posted an article on the official GWT blog on how to use
> Google Plugin for Eclipse with Maven. The article mentions gwt-maven-

Hey David,

If you're ever in the mood for a follow up article, it'd be great to
see a multi-module project setup where the GWT-related artifacts are
in a jar, but assembled into a war artifact, then have the war
deployed through Eclipse's WTP and have fully client/server debugging.
For full points, make use of a datasource in a non-hacky way. :-)

Thanks for the blog post!

JAmes

Nathaniel Auvil

Aug 31, 2010, 1:35:51 PM8/31/10
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David.  I tried this and could not get it to work.  Two hours is all the time i had to waste.  Once Google "officially" supports Maven with a clear step by step instruction on how to use Maven with the Google Eclipse plug-in that is tested, I will take a look as my life is painful right now with the Google supported Ant build + external call to Maven to resolve dependencies.

1) created a new GWT project, as I have an existing GWT project i am trying to port, want to go through the motions on a "clean" project.
2) run this inside eclipse and the default GWT application runs fine.
3) follow instructions you gave on how to convert existing project...
3.1) create a new project in eclipse based on the gwt plug-in from codehaus: "1.3.1.google"  (odd naming convention) and it blows up.

Unable to create project from archetype [org.codehaus.mojo:gwt-maven-plugin:1.3.1.google]
org.apache.maven.archetype.exception.ArchetypeGenerationFailure: Error merging velocity templates: Unable to find resource 'archetype-resources/pom.xml'

3.2) ok. let me try the 1.2 version of the plug-in just to get me started.  Ok that generated something. let me ape that pom.xml
3.3) upgrade said pom to from GWT 1.7 to 2.0.4
3.4) hmmm...there are paths and things defined in the pom for the gwt-maven-plug-in which do not look right.  Let me look at the sample you linked in...ugggghhh...a kitchen sink pom.  Ok, all the way at the bottom is the gwt-maven-plugin.  Configured differently from the 1.2 i generated.  let me update.
3.5) the blog said something about the maven eclipse plug-in...looking at the sample there is all this aspectj and spring stuff within the maven eclipse plug-in configuration. Do i need this?

Ok, i am really spending a ton of time on this.....crap, i have a deadline coming up, time to focus on real work.  Great start, and glad to see Google working towards Maven support, but this really needs time to bake and a simpler process.  A simple way to generate a GWT maven eclipse project where i can run via the Google Eclipse plugin and via maven for my build server, all the while leveraging the dependency management of Maven.

David Chandler

Aug 31, 2010, 2:15:32 PM8/31/10
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Nathaniel,

Thanks for your comments. I can see that it was confusing to reference
the sample POM on GWT trunk as it must be cherry-picked for each
project. The point of the article was really how to get out info on
how to configure Google plugin for Eclipse if you're already using
maven on a GWT project. If you have time to look at it again, you
might try starting with an archetype from the gwt-maven-plugin version
1.2 with GWT 2.0.4. That configuration is much more fully baked than
what's currently on GWT trunk.

/dmc
David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, Google Web Toolkit

--

David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, Google Web Toolkit

http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/

Arthur Kalmenson

Sep 1, 2010, 9:20:25 AM9/1/10
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
> 3.5) the blog said something about the maven eclipse plug-in...looking at
> the sample there is all this aspectj and spring stuff within the maven
> eclipse plug-in configuration. Do i need this?

I think what you want is the m2eclipse plugin:
http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/installing-m2eclipse.html

And yes, as David said, generate your project using the 1.2 archetype:
http://mojo.codehaus.org/gwt-maven-plugin-1.2/user-guide/archetype.html

--
Arthur Kalmenson

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Nathaniel Auvil